• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P95 doesn't mean stability.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think p95 is a good way to test cpu stability. Memtest is a good way to test mem stability. And 3dmark is a good way to test all of them combined including vid card stability.

My system, passes memtest and prime95, however sometimes i get a random reboot (instant) in video games. Probably because of my video card being overclocked.

I agree, samsung is good ram... but I don't put it up there with corsair and crucial... or other more performance oriented sticks... My samsung 2700 has run stable at 203 MHz so far... haven't found out what it maxes out at... since I have my motherboard holding me back...

I shoulda waited a month for NF2... but I wasn't so sure how well the chipset would fair... it turned out to be the best thing since sliced bread... oh well.

I'm saving a little bit to buy me an EPox and I'll be able to push it to the max.

Always run multiple benchs/tests to determine stability. It's like an airplane. They don't test just the engine and then say it's safe to fly do they?

Well my DDR2700 samsung memory sucks, wont do more than 150 FSB stable.
FENIX UK. Dont no if my temp is for CPU or chipset. No-one seems to be able to find out for sure and which sensors to use for what with MBM5 so i am going to test with independent sensors soon from my Digidoc. I am going to test CPU, Northbridge and Southbridge at stock settings and various overclocks. Got to wait for new memory to be delivered on order though

I'm finding the comments in this post about Prime95 very interesting. The P4 guys are always hollering about 'I'm booting at 185 fsb on default voltage!', or talking about being Prime stable at 190 fsb. But where's the beef? Strangely, they never post any 3dMark scores.

What I do to test stability is run 3DMark2003, 3DMark2001, 3DMark2000, PCMark2002, IL-2 Sturmovik demo track, Serious Sam 2nd Encounter demo loop, UT2003, Codecreatures, then finish up with a SuperPI 16M run, which usually lasts a good 30' on a 3 gig P4 CPU. I have 4 rigs and since I change boards a lot, they aren't hooked to the net so I can't run Prime.

I have found some overclocked systems will pass 3DMark2003 but have trouble with 3DMark2001 or 2000, or vice versa. So 3DMark2003 passes at 180 fsb but I have to drop 1-2 mhz down to pass 3DMark2000. I've had rigs that passed all the 3DMarks but lock in IL-2, which is usually associated with SuperPI failing. Or I've passed everything but SS 2nd Encounter has an illegal op that means the CPU needs a tad more voltage. I finish up with SuperPI as a quick-and-dirty Prime.

But for sure, when these guys claim they are running 190 fsb at default voltage (big deal with P4s, like running 2500 mhz at 1.7 volts on an Athlon), I bet ya they can't pass all the above.

Back