• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P95 doesn't mean stability.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CSaddict

I have my B core running and have been playing around at different speeds, fsb and volts. I thought it was stable because P95 runs mint all day and once in a while I will BSOD? I got memtest and found at 180 FSB and above this Samsung is crappin out. I just ordered some pc3500 Hyper X 256 modules to replace these. Think it will help? I'll keep you posted. BTW this is the best overclocking cpu I have ever seen.

Bah, should have bought Twinmos 3200 with Winbond chips :p

Your OC is nice but you're limited by your motherboard. get an 8RDA+ rev 2.0 or 8RGA+ or NF7-S rev 2.0 and see what she can really do. ;)

Let us know how it goes...and your machine is exactly why I avoid Samsung RAM like the plague

Yeah I don't think that Prime95 stresses the memory enough. I've had a system running prime all day and night before, but crashing in certain games and failing memtest (relaxing the timings would fix this).

Not to say that it's not a good way to test though, just that you should use more than one program to test for stability, especially the memory.

I always viewed P95, Seti, Folding, 3dmark, etc. as good tests of CPU and video stability, but I always use memtest86 for memory.

The problem with P95 et. al is that they have to hit just the right memory address and / or data pattern to generate the blue screen or error that tips you off to memory instability, whereas memtest86 does an extremely systematic, thourough check.

Glad to hear you found it! Wish I had some twinmos ... and a p4 or barton .... and ... :D -- Paul

I can run prime stable @ 212 but ut2k3 crashes unless I use a fsb lower then 208.

Yeah, I have some Samsung PC3200 here as well that was miserable in my 8RDA+.

lazyart said:
Yeah, I have some Samsung PC3200 here as well that was miserable in my 8RDA+.
Don't say that dude... :( i'm using the same thing in my EP-8RDA+ at 190FSB right now.

I had it running at 205FSB on my EP-8RDA too. Stable as hell.

IMHO prime95 is a great stability test. It tests CPU stability more than mem stability. If you want a stable system you have to use more than one utility. System stability is a combination of the stability of the various components, so you need to test them all. Memtest86 is a great program. Try using the two of them together, and then seperatly. You can also use the sandra file system benchmark for good measure. Good luck with your new ram:)

At the moment C&C generals seems to be a good test of stability. lol.

Crashes out after about 10-15 mins even though prime runs fine.

Will have to pick up memtest tonight and have a look see if my memory is the problem.

Although even though i'm running 210fsb the memory timings are still set for 333 so should i really be having problems?

Gadetman is your chip seriously overclocked?

The temps in your sig look way high. especially with that cooler and living in the cold UK like me.

I have to stick the central heating in the house to max to reach that sort of case temp.

Samsung memory? Rubbish? It's only rated for CL2.5, but runs at CL2 with a 180 FSB without any problems whatsoever, and I can probably push it even higher. At CL2.5, it's supposed to go up to the 200's... and it's only $35 too, without the useless heatspreaders.

gogadgetman said:
samsung memory is rubbish

Yeah right *looks at Samsung PC2100 ram that hits 170FSB*

Didn't test it for long, I wanted it back in my comp, lol, had to test it in someone elses machine, as the mobo I had wouldnt do even 150FSB... In fact, none of my mobos have!!

My 2400+ and an 8RDA with HyperX3500 will pass P95 and 3DMark at 2500-2550mhz but BF1942 will lock up after a few minutes. Makes me kinda upset.

Damian said:
Samsung memory? Rubbish? It's only rated for CL2.5, but runs at CL2 with a 180 FSB without any problems whatsoever, and I can probably push it even higher. At CL2.5, it's supposed to go up to the 200's... and it's only $35 too, without the useless heatspreaders.

i couldnt agree more. im using samsung in two of my computers now and it works flawlessly. im sure that there are some bad sticks out there but as a whole samsung ram is great IMO.

Damian said:

i couldnt agree more. im using samsung in two of my computers now and it works flawlessly. im sure that there are some bad sticks out there but as a whole samsung ram is great IMO.

Damian said:

I have memtest on a floppy but it wont work on my machine. :( i need to figure out the problem...any suggestions. Sorry for the thread jack.

Back