Registered

tempermental k7s5a

Can anyont help ...my board will be working fine one minute then it stops...reboots and will not post...black screen...no power to the cdrom...fans spinning. It stay that way after many retries fo hours then the next day power on ...post and then boots fine.
    I have the latest bios from ecs thinking that would solve the problem...no luck.
    Whats wrong with this board? I wonder if its because I'm usung sdram?
    Any ideas

64MB geforce2mx
    sblive sound
    1700+ volcano 9 max Temp = 50c

There have been many problems with this board...

Some say it is because of the SDRAM.. I have this board and still use SDRAM pc133 and it works fine..

I'm more inclined to say that it is the power supply. These boards seem to be really power hungry. Although you may run a 350 or 400watt PSU, your rails may not have enough current to run the board. Check in the cases and powersupply forum for some really informative info on PSU's.

Also, make sure that your ATX connector is properly seated and that the pins are making good contact.

Make sure your board is secured right. If it is grounding out on the case, that will cause random reboots. As the case heats up inside, the board will flex ever so slightly.. It could be shorting/gounding out.

Check your temps on the CPU. I don't remember if that board has temp warning on it or not. If it does (I don't think so, but yours may) make sure you aren't going above your top temp threshold.

Also, besure to check out the FAQ sticky. Good information in there too.

Hope I was a little help..
    System:
    Motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3Ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) (PC3 10600)
    CPU Cooling: AMD Stock
    Case Cooling: Side mounted blue led fan
    Case: Some silver case I picked up someplace. It holds my stuff..

Registered
    thanks dude I guess it could be the power supply...generic 300w...the only problem is the 3v rail which hovers around 3.1v.
    I run MBM so i have no problems with temps
    I'll check the faqs

i cant believe that any half-decent 300w+ psu would have problems. my board was stable as a rock with a 350w generic psu powering an xp1800@1.8ghz and a gf4 mx. and that had what would be concidered to be low rails.
    Last edited by james.miller; 04-11-03 at 02:28 AM.
    The HTPC

E2160 @ 2.7ghz | Thermaltake The Orb cooler | Asus p5w-dh | 4Gb DDR-II pc6400| 1.00Tb of WD AAKS storage | Asus Xonar D2| 360 HD-DVD drive
    Pioneer bd204 bluray sata drive | Corsair HX620w PSU | BFG GeForce 8800GTX | Silverstone SST-LC17b
    | 22" dell e228wfp | 40" 1080p SONY 40w2000

ONKYO TX-SR805 | bi-amped mission m71i fronts | eltax center & bipolar rears
    2x 12" custom built subwoofers powered by a denon pma-100m | PS3 with linux and a 250gb 3.5" internal drive | Nintendo wii

Registered
    i am using 145watt with 2 hdd
    it works stable

Registered
    screw ecs now im back to my backup k7v wait 700Athlon...waiting for epox 8rga or better

good choice..
    System:
    Motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3Ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) (PC3 10600)
    CPU Cooling: AMD Stock
    Case Cooling: Side mounted blue led fan
    Case: Some silver case I picked up someplace. It holds my stuff..