• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on building a new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrSpanky

okay im going to buy there parts in the up comming weeks is there any any thing on this list that will cause me problems or that isnt compatable or any thing at all you can think off before i get all of this?

1x 3.066GHz Hyper Threading (533FSB) Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 512k Cache * S478 * OEM
4x Corsair XMS 512Mb DDR 400MHz PC3200 Cas 2 - with Heat Spreader
1x ThermalTake Xaser III Black Case + Window inc Temp Control NO PSU
1x MSI 655 Max-FISR 533fsb DDR400 +Raid+USB2+Gbit Lan+ATA133+x8 AGP+1394
1x 120Gb Maxtor ATA-133 (7200rpm, 8MB Cache, 8.5ms) Quiet Drive Technology 1yr
1x 550W CWT + SATA Quiet Dual Fan AMD/P4 App Active Fan Control Active PFC
1x Coolermaster FDD Round cable 45cm
2x ROUND ATA133 Certified IDE Cable 90cm
1x GREEN - Original Branded Cold Cathode Case Lighting Kit CE Approved
4x Ioss RD7
1x Coolermaster Premium Heat Sink Compound & app' Kit
1x 1.44Mb Black Floppy Disk drive Panasonic
1x Intel Original P4 (S478) Heat Sink Fan 2.533 Ghz +
1x 700Va - Liebert - Powersure Personal XT UPS
1x Creative Labs x52 Speed CDROM Drive
1x MSI Geforce FX 5800 Ultra TD Tv/DVI Retail

with a 12x dvd player and a 40x12x48 CD-rw from my old computer

will the hsf be alright? Iam an AMD person so I don't know about intel heatsinks! Do you think it will do the job alright?

that heat sink will do for a while. im planing to get a better one but its all i can afford at the moment

after i have built it i wanna get an expensive cpu cooler

please do not swear -Ridenow

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty sweet, thats gonna take a chunck out of the wallet aint it?? :D Goodman....

i have spent some time thinking

im going for a ati grapics card

i think this one 128Mb ATI Radeon 9700 Pro DVI/TV DDR Retail

i dont know alot about ati so im asking is this the best ati card out or is it the 128Mb ATI Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro All In Wonder ViVo/TV Out this ones more expensive so i think the second one is also in change to the list im going for a serial ata hard drive which is faster
120Gb Seagate Barracuda Serial ATA (ATA-150) (7200rpm, 8MB Cache) and the Thermaltake Aquarius II Water Cooler to cool my cpu what do u think of the mobifications?

cooling is not a insue now

im going for water cooling

my issue is my grapics card now i need to find a seller in the up that dose all the parts i want the place i normaly go to dont have the 9800 pro on there site yet

here we go

i think i have reached perfection and i still have enought for 2 pints from down the pub :)

lol im gonna be 1 poor student

oh this list is for 1 new computer and to get my current computer ready for selling (im selling my gf4 ti4600 then fitting the gf4mx440) cause i can make more money selling the video card separate

1x 3.066GHz Hyper Threading (533FSB) Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 512k Cache * S478 * OEM
4x Corsair XMS 512Mb DDR 400MHz PC3200 Cas 2 - with Heat Spreader
1x ThermalTake Xaser III (V1000+) Black BM Case inc Temp Control NO PSU *BACK ORDER ONLY*
1x 550W CWT + SATA Quiet Dual Fan AMD/P4 App Active Fan Control Active PFC
1x Coolermaster FDD Round cable 45cm
2x ROUND ATA133 Certified IDE Cable 90cm
1x GREEN - Original Branded Cold Cathode Case Lighting Kit CE Approved
4x Ioss RD7
1x Coolermaster Premium Heat Sink Compound & app' Kit
1x 1.44Mb Black Floppy Disk drive Panasonic
1x Intel Original P4 (S478) Heat Sink Fan 2.533 Ghz + <--- just insace i have a problem with the water cooler
1x 700Va - Liebert - Powersure Personal XT UPS
1x 64Mb MSI GeForce 4 MX 440SE DDR with TV out for my old computer not in this system
1x Creative Labs x52 Speed CDROM Drive
1x 120Gb Seagate Barracuda Serial ATA (ATA-150) (7200rpm, 8MB Cache) 1yr
1x Thermaltake Aquarius II Water Cooler
1x MSI 655 Max-FISR 533fsb DDR400 +HT+Raid+USB2+Gbit Lan+ATA133+x8 AGP+1394
1x Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR + DVI + TV

Last edited:
yowza!! Is this just going to be a gaming rig??? I also second the 2 gigs of ram......id go with just 1 gig. I cant see see that extra gig really helping unless this was going to be a server or something....IMO

Also, good choice on switching to the 9800 pro

I think you should go with a motherboard with SATA (Serial ATA) and get the WD 10K Raptor SATA drive. It's a cheap alternative to SCSI and is really fast. The HDD is a real big bottle neck in the system. Pretty useless to have a fast CPU, memory, video card and load your maps and such slow :)

Edit: What's the point of buying an extra CD-Rom when you're going to transfer your DVD Rom over? Also, I don't see a sound card.

2 gigs of ram?
550 watt PSU

can someone say overkill?

you could build one hell of a nice water cooled case with the money you'd save there

The intel heatsink and fan is really not that bad, just be sure you have alot of air going through the case, and a pci fan.

Get the 9800, it really is the king

Be sure you use an 8mb cached hdd for the non-storage drive.

Serial ata for storage gets my vote too. SCSI is not worth the cash

timmyqwest said:
2 gigs of ram?
550 watt PSU

can someone say overkill?

you could build one hell of a nice water cooled case with the money you'd save there

Agreed. You can build an insane water rig for the price of one ddr stick.

I do alot of audio with the computer, and i have never seen less then 300MB free when working on huge files, with memory hogging sound enhancements.

Hell, I can play quake with a 500MB allocation, run music match juke box, kazaa, and still have no problems with game play while runnin at 2.4 with pc2700 ram.

2048 is a total waste. You could just give me a stick if you wanted to.

forgot to say

The M/B dose do sata and that is the way im going on the second list i said im goting for a 120gb sata H/D

im useing my old 5.1 sound card dunno what model it is but it kicks ***

yes the 550wat psu is over kill along with the 2gb ram but hey this is going to be my last computer for a while and i wanna max it out get the best stuff i can afford

the hard drive along with the gf4 mx440 is for my other computer i copyed and pasted the list from where i wrote everything down

i think the ammended list is great (the post 7posts up)

it has a kick as case and water cooling unit so apart and the intel heatsink and fan is just incase i have a problem with the water colling unit,

If I was buying a system RIGHT now and I had no brand loyalty, I'd probably get a Barton 2500+ with an NForce2 chipset.

If I had Intel brand loyalty and I had oodles of money (which you obviously do) I'd wait for the new Springdale chipset. 800mhz FSB, SATA, plus a host of other goodies.

I would also wait before buying 2 gigs of ram. Pare it down to 1 gigabyte, then if you find yourself saying "This wouldn't suck as much if I had another gig of ram." THEN go buy it. Odds are you won't be saying that.

I think to think that you aren;t going to need to upgrade soon therefore spend too much now means you're guarenteeing that you will soon have a lot in a system that will soon be junk.....to think otherwise is just fooling no one but yourself ...with new chips boards and memory comming out soon i think it;s very wrong to assume you can do it right right now.....either intel won;t let you ,technology,where the industry is going /trends >>>wireless ,audio video,micro,brain chip implant,,??/......2 gigs is crazy overkill..one gig is overkill for most people ,,,ram is cheap now but corsair ain;t never been cheap...550 psu is the smartest thing you could do ..why not spend the extra 40 bucks or so to never have a problem...I don;t like msi at all(never have)and at this point you might as well wait on the new boards...can;t even imagine a 9800 pro....

I will echo some of the other comments about the excessive amount of RAM. I can't see needing more than 1 gig unless this is a high power server. Besides, it's usually better if you don't populate all the RAM slots anyway. I'd also pick a better mobo than a MSI. Also, forget the Coolermaster thermal compound and get Arctic Silver. By the way, what is Ioss RD7?

lol

i just thought i would be cool to have 2gb ram what i can afford it

also i dont want to wait before i upgrade cause im riping some one off to buy my computer and if they get smart in the time i wait to sell im gonna be down alot of money

also a IOSS RD7 is a System aftercooler (allows system cooling after shutdown) with a timer that can be set to 1,3,5 or 10mins
each rd7 dose 2 fans so i need 4x because i there are 7 case fans and 1 water pump

Back