Why the minimum word length limit in Search function?

Why is there a minimum word length on your search function? It's so inconvenient sometimes, like just now when I want to search for something related to PFC in the PSU forum.

I'm not sure, but you can just use *pfc* as your search string to find it and that should work.

Because every letter we take off adds a LOT of space to the search database and wildcards work just as well. We put enough load on the hard drives(a LOT of load) and can't afford to put any more stress on the system for one more letter(nor afford the space either).

Just use a wildcard.
    Cameron: Are you crazy, House? You can't divide by zero! The server is almost overloaded as it is, despite us having pumped it full of matrices!
    Foreman: He was right about that infinite sequence last week... maybe we didn't consider this could be an asymptotic problem.
    House: This is the only way! Sometimes solutions are NP complete and there's nothing anyone can do about it! Foreman, sneak into the physics department and reroute their servers to ours, we need the extra processors if we don't want this equation to go quadratic on us. Chase, patch the memory leak and install Matlab 9.3.
    Chase: Shouldn't we be using Mathematica for potentially asymptotic functions?
    House: When I want your opinion, I'll do an affine transformation to get it. I'm off to see Cuddy. Those parabolic eigenvalues of hers must be good for something.

Perhaps a comment about the wildcard technique could be added to the search page, then?

Administratively Deficient Thelemac's Avatar
    It's there, though it does not specify that you need that for less than four chars in it.
    42 | Sig Assassin

*click*