• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC cd-rom misleading?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LittlePiggie

I was reading the Windows debate thread and I thought about all the different OSs available for the PC, and how game companies release games and say "available on the PS2, Xbox, and PC". Do you think that game comanies should explicitly say "Windows cd-rom" instead of "PC cd-rom" unless it is fully compatible with other OSs?

They should, in the spirit of disclosure, but given the predominance of Windows as the primary PC OS, its understandable if they don't.

I imagine that anyone NOT running windows would be well aware of this (For instance - they would be pretty smart IMHO if they're running Linux or Unix, and they know if they have a mac or not
:D)

Well it does work on PC CD-Rom but when you look at the requirements on the box its going to tell you. But as the previous poster said, if you have linux or unix on your PC, then your smart enough to know that the game won't run on your system.

Well, windows kind of IS PC. PC in essence distinguishes Mac from Windows. Since when is an iMac NOT a Personal Computer? Never. But, PC has come to mean windows. Therefore, it is not misleading at all.

[hijack]ROFL WILLIAM! I just clicked on the link in your sig......shadow goofed again....rofl rofl[/hijack]

DaveSauce said:
Well, windows kind of IS PC. PC in essence distinguishes Mac from Windows. Since when is an iMac NOT a Personal Computer? Never. But, PC has come to mean windows. Therefore, it is not misleading at all.

Not really.... I remember back in the day, when my dad brought the 286 home, it was the "computer". When we got one of the little box Macs, the 286 was referred to as the "PC". This was all, of course, before Windows.

But I agree.... "PC CDROM" pretty much means "Windows" and one could even go so far as to say that it now would imply "Non-deprecated versions of Windows" which only includes ME, 2K and XP at this point.

I would like to see more games ship with a Linux port. UT2K3 set a really good example in that department. (Gotta go out and buy that.... still playing original UT and the demo every now and then)

Technically speaking, anyone who is running linux or unix could run windows if they wanted to, and really, saying "PC-CDROM" is saying it's compatible with that platform. Of course, usually under system requirements an OS is given.

Now, if software manufacturers HAD to make a version of their software compatable with linux (or if more chose to) and someone made a TRUE user-friendly version of linux, it might (read as WOULD) become a TRULY serious threat/competition to microsoft, and having competition (that'd be a nice change:rolleyes:) MIGHT make them strive to make better, more bug-free, spyware-less, MSintrusion-less software...

Its all about money. Almost every computer user uses windows or has used it in the past but the average person has no idea what linux is and most have also probably never used a mac. The money comes from windows users because there are simply more of them.

iamthegreatest said:
I imagine that anyone NOT running windows would be well aware of this (For instance - they would be pretty smart IMHO if they're running Linux or Unix, and they know if they have a mac or not
:D)

agreed

I always thought that PC means windows. In Scott Muellers book, "Upgrading and Repairing PC's" he refers to PC's as windows machines. And that guy knows what he's talking about. PC is past that stage where it implies windows - it means windows. Dont they have a windows icon when they say pc compatible?

UGH! it's so true.
How sad the world had become when it automatically associates *shudders* windows with the word "PC" or even "computer" sometimes :rolleyes:

ArBiTaL 24 said:
UGH! it's so true.
How sad the world had become when it automatically associates *shudders* windows with the word "PC" or even "computer" sometimes :rolleyes:
yeah, sometimes that is how things work. everyone assumes things and thinks that everyone thinks the same way. Windows is certainly not the only pc os, but most people really don't care.

It's not misleading because the people who it might effect adversely (ie Linux guy trying to install unreal 2) know better. The people who assume that computer == windows don't need to know anything more.

I hope that soon companies will have to specify Linux vs Windows support when they say "PC," but they don't right now.

Well, a "PC CD-Rom" should work fine in Linux (i.e. be mounted & read), but the software on the CD-Rom might have some incompatabilities ;).

Back