• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bigger PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trent

what do you guys think. Im going to be adding a 120 and 160 gb drives to my system soon and I need to upgrade my 350 enermax to do it because I know I need more power. The question is do you guys think the fortron/sparkle 400 watt or do you think I should go bigger than that. I dont have a lot of money to spend, probably around 85-90 tops for the PSU.

The 400W Fortron for $59 from directron is a top power supply at a more-than-reasonable price. That being said, I wouldn't bother just because you got a bigger hard drive. It likely consumes no more power than the old one, so if you didn't have a problem before you don't have one now.

If the supply blows hot air, or the voltages bounce and deflect under load excessively, I would consider a beefier supply. The 350W Fortron/Sparkle with the 120mm fan has the same 16A rated 12V output as the 400W model. As the current draw shifts more towards the 12V line all the time I'm not sure the 400W model is really any better in practice. But you have to have a bona-fide problem before there can be an elegant solution to it, and I'm not sure you do.

like larva said if you aren't having troubles with it than it's fine. fortron/sparkle PSU's are great. even a 350 would do nice. sparkle/fortron PSU's are rated well below what they're capable of. 350's have been measured putting out well over 400 watts

well Im running a 350 watt enermax right now powering the system in my sig. 5 case fans, and I am going to be adding another 2 hard drives to it, a 120 and a 160. overall voltages are decent, 5v rail sits 4.93 idle 4.87 load.

"As the current draw shifts more towards the 12V line all the time I'm not sure the 400W model is really any better in practice."

Which means it's getting more important to have a higher +12 V supply. Most under 400W PSU have "only" 15A. I think over 20 is needed now and for future installed products.

Trent said:
well Im running a 350 watt enermax right now powering the system in my sig. 5 case fans, and I am going to be adding another 2 hard drives to it, a 120 and a 160. overall voltages are decent, 5v rail sits 4.93 idle 4.87 load.

I really think you'll be ok with the PSU you already have. At least try it out.

Back