not booting, screen goes nuts, etc

A friend of mine's having annoying probs.
    Sometimes it won't boot to the bios or anything, and if it boots, screen goes nuts. He's using an old ass S3 Trio 64 pci card, but he says if he doesn't boot in safe mode, it freezes.
    He's got a Ti4200, says windows loads fine, detect drivers and stuff, but when he installs nvidia's drivers, it goes scrammbly after reboot. He tried every driver, the ones that came in cd, lastest ones and old ones, still no go.
    We're going for a fresh install, clear CMOS and all that crap. Any suggestions?
    CoolerMaster HAF922; Corsair HX520 520 Watts
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P rev. 2.0, F10 bios
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 (stock); Thermalright TRUE Black 120 rev. C + Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E
    Corsair 2x2GB DDR2-800 5-5-5-18 (stock)
    Gigabyte Windforce HD7850 2GB
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 16MB; Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 32MB; Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 2TB 64MB
    Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-219L
    Samsung Syncmaster T190 19"
    Windows XP SP3

If this is the same machine but different cards there is a possibility that the previous drivers are causing the problem. I am not an expert when it comes to these things but I am sure you will get plenty of replies. I would try to remove all previous traces of the old drivers then install the windows generic drivers reboot then install the nvidea drivers. A fresh install would be a last resort for me but I also love the feeling of a fresh install so if it has been a while it might be a good time for it. Good Luck
    Hello:sn: