Kingston PC2700 @ PC3200 ?

Hi,

I'm using 1 stick of Kingston ValueRAM 256MB. Chips on this module are from Infeneon, CL 2.5.

Running FSB at 167 (i845PE chipset mobo) and according to motherboard settings, I can run my RAM at DDR 334 (2:4) or DDR 418 (5:8).

No probs at DDR 418 - isn't that a little strange for ValueRAM?

My previous Kingston stick also used to run at DDR 418, but started giving me randon errors after a few days.

What I'm afraid of is component damage. I don't want my DDR getting crapped. And I'm not tweaking the voltage for memory settings at all.
    Last edited by Z_oc; 04-18-03 at 12:11 PM.

I use Kingston Value Ram 2700 also, but with the Kingston "W" chips (BH-6 Winbond labled as Kingston). It will hack the 3:4 at 162fsb, for 432MHz at 2.64V at cas 2,7,3,3. It will not make it at 167fsb. You may be able to run the 3:4 if you back the fsb down a few MHz, and the system may be faster.

In any event running the ram as fast as it will go won't appreciably hurt lifespan. Increased voltage will, but not enough to matter as the ram will be discarded long before the limits are reached, even at 2.9V. 2.7V and as much clock as it will stand is safe enough for everyday use by any reasonable standard.

How fast a CPU or stick of RAM posts means only one thing... that is how fast it posts. It may well still be unstable, to a small or large degree. The only thing you can say about posting is if it doesn't, you aren't going to be using the computer at those settings. The fact that it does means little to the actual feasibility of operation.
    Last edited by larva; 04-18-03 at 06:25 AM.
    Home Rig - cod2 tool--------------------------------------------------------------------------------School Rig - work tool
    CPU P4 561 @ 220fsb/4GHz------------------------------------------------------------------------CPU P4 506 @ 200fsb/4GHz
    MB Abit AG8-V Video EVGA 7800GT-----------------------------------------------------------------MB Abit AS8-V Video EVGA GF 6200
    Memory 4x512MB BH5 - DDR440-2,2,2,5------------------------------------------------------Memory 2x512MB Corsair VS400-2.5,3,3,8
    Cooling Scythe Ninja w/103cfm 120x38mm Sanyo-------------------------------------------Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 4 w/Intel 92mm fan
    Sound SoundBastid Live Case AMS gTower PS TPII-480----------------------------------Sound Integrated audio Case Antec SLK1650 PS SP2-350
    Storage 74GB Raptor - 2x200GB Samsung - LG4167b DVD-RW------------------------Storage 2x160GB Hitachi SATA - LG4163b DVD-RW - 250MB Zip
    Display Dell 2005FPW 20" widescreen LCD Printer - Canon i9900
    ---------------Display Viewsonic VX2025 20" widescreen LCD Printer - Canon i860

I'm not sure I understand your question but here goes:

Even Value Ram can run faster than it is rated for. I have some Kingston value DDR 2100 that ran at 155 FSB. (ddr310)

If RAM is WAY overclocked then the computer wont post or perhaps it will post but not boot. Even if it boots up, certain demanding apps might cause freezes or kick u out of programs. If so just back down a bit on the overclock. Another option is to relax the memory timings in the BIOS if u have that option. Instead of running "Fastest" or "Turbo" try "normal". Other bios give u the option of changing the timing numbers. Manually plugging in larger numbers will allow the ram to run at a higher MHZ but.... it wont run as efficiently.

Here is an example of BIOS memory timings:
    ------------------ fast-----medium------slow
    CAS----------------- 2 -----2.5------------3
    Trp------------------ 2 -----3--------------4
    Tras-----------------5 ------6--------------7
    Trcd-----------------2 -----3------------- 4
    Command rate------1--------2-------------2

I havent heard of people frying ram by OCing but even if so who cares? Kingston Value ram is cheap. Some people say increasing the DIMM voltage gets a higher stable OC. I havent noticed that with my ram.
    Last edited by Samoyed; 04-18-03 at 05:22 AM.
    3.0 X4 945 PhenomII @ 3.6 Zal 9900
    Antec P90 case
    OCZ 600W ps
    Patriot 4 gb ram CAS 7
    Samsung 60gb SSD
    WD BLUE 640 HD
    8800GTX card
    Gigabyte mb

Guys,

I got that posting line all wrong. I was thinking of something else at that time...

Both of you are right - CPU or RAM might post, but that doesn't mean that the system is stable. It was a stupid line from me. After so much tweaking, I shouldn't have made such a comment.

What I experienced was a stable system DDR stick playing tricks on me after 4-5 days use. I say the system was stable cos it was OK for that period (I ran lotsa benchies). After experiencing the crashes after 4-5 days, I stopped OCing but no luck. Still progs (especially Eudora) kept on crashing.

So that's why I got a new stick and haven't bumped it up to DDR 418 yet. At DDR 334 everythings stable; but at 167 FSB, CPU/chipset bandwith is at 5.3 GB/sec, while mem bandwidth is only 2.7 GB/sec. At DDR 418, I'll at least have an extra 600 MB/sec.

Mem timings are 2.5, 7, 3, 3

Since I diidn't overvolt a lot - max 2.7V with the previous DDR, I doubt if there could be any damage. Maybe it was a faulty module in the first place.

But at $35 for 256MB module, this RAM is good value for money (if it hits DDR 400+ stable).
    Last edited by Z_oc; 04-18-03 at 12:13 PM.