• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston PC2700 @ PC3200 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Z_oc

Hi,

I'm using 1 stick of Kingston ValueRAM 256MB. Chips on this module are from Infeneon, CL 2.5.

Running FSB at 167 (i845PE chipset mobo) and according to motherboard settings, I can run my RAM at DDR 334 (2:4) or DDR 418 (5:8).

No probs at DDR 418 - isn't that a little strange for ValueRAM?

My previous Kingston stick also used to run at DDR 418, but started giving me randon errors after a few days.

What I'm afraid of is component damage. I don't want my DDR getting crapped. And I'm not tweaking the voltage for memory settings at all.

Last edited:
I use Kingston Value Ram 2700 also, but with the Kingston "W" chips (BH-6 Winbond labled as Kingston). It will hack the 3:4 at 162fsb, for 432MHz at 2.64V at cas 2,7,3,3. It will not make it at 167fsb. You may be able to run the 3:4 if you back the fsb down a few MHz, and the system may be faster.

In any event running the ram as fast as it will go won't appreciably hurt lifespan. Increased voltage will, but not enough to matter as the ram will be discarded long before the limits are reached, even at 2.9V. 2.7V and as much clock as it will stand is safe enough for everyday use by any reasonable standard.

How fast a CPU or stick of RAM posts means only one thing... that is how fast it posts. It may well still be unstable, to a small or large degree. The only thing you can say about posting is if it doesn't, you aren't going to be using the computer at those settings. The fact that it does means little to the actual feasibility of operation.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand your question but here goes:

Even Value Ram can run faster than it is rated for. I have some Kingston value DDR 2100 that ran at 155 FSB. (ddr310)

If RAM is WAY overclocked then the computer wont post or perhaps it will post but not boot. Even if it boots up, certain demanding apps might cause freezes or kick u out of programs. If so just back down a bit on the overclock. Another option is to relax the memory timings in the BIOS if u have that option. Instead of running "Fastest" or "Turbo" try "normal". Other bios give u the option of changing the timing numbers. Manually plugging in larger numbers will allow the ram to run at a higher MHZ but.... it wont run as efficiently.

Here is an example of BIOS memory timings:
------------------ fast-----medium------slow
CAS----------------- 2 -----2.5------------3
Trp------------------ 2 -----3--------------4
Tras-----------------5 ------6--------------7
Trcd-----------------2 -----3------------- 4
Command rate------1--------2-------------2

I havent heard of people frying ram by OCing but even if so who cares? Kingston Value ram is cheap. Some people say increasing the DIMM voltage gets a higher stable OC. I havent noticed that with my ram.

Last edited:
Guys,

I got that posting line all wrong. I was thinking of something else at that time...

Both of you are right - CPU or RAM might post, but that doesn't mean that the system is stable. It was a stupid line from me. After so much tweaking, I shouldn't have made such a comment.

What I experienced was a stable system DDR stick playing tricks on me after 4-5 days use. I say the system was stable cos it was OK for that period (I ran lotsa benchies). After experiencing the crashes after 4-5 days, I stopped OCing but no luck. Still progs (especially Eudora) kept on crashing.

So that's why I got a new stick and haven't bumped it up to DDR 418 yet. At DDR 334 everythings stable; but at 167 FSB, CPU/chipset bandwith is at 5.3 GB/sec, while mem bandwidth is only 2.7 GB/sec. At DDR 418, I'll at least have an extra 600 MB/sec.

Mem timings are 2.5, 7, 3, 3

Since I diidn't overvolt a lot - max 2.7V with the previous DDR, I doubt if there could be any damage. Maybe it was a faulty module in the first place.

But at $35 for 256MB module, this RAM is good value for money (if it hits DDR 400+ stable).

Last edited:
Back