• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card Questions!!! HELP!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

irish80122

I am looking at buying a video card such as a GeForce4 MX440 or something in that range. I don't really game all that much, but I want to have a decent video card because it is an awesome system otherwise. I want something that can OC at least with the system, if you know what I mean. What I don't know however is how much memory I should get, 64 or 128. I am planning on getting DDR no matter what. Also, what kind should I buy or does it matter? I was leaning towards MSI but I am open to suggestions. Thanks!

In my opinion the MX440 isnt worth it. I would spend the little extra money on getting a 9000 non pro (its only like 10$ more). Or I would stretch the budget a bit and get an 8500LE or 9100 for around 70$ which would make you much happier :).

*EDIT* Those look like good cards, I will have to do some research. I always have bought Nvidia, but I have heard the two are pretty comperable overall. I guess it is just another fight over which is better, lol.

Last edited:
irish80122 said:
*EDIT* Those look like good cards, I will have to do some research. I always have bought Nvidia, but I have heard the two are pretty comperable overall. I guess it is just another fight over which is better, lol.

Yep, its just like AMD and Intel, fanboys will bicker back and forth. But even the staunchest Nvidia fanboy has trouble supporting the MX440 against the Radeons I mentioned since the MX440 performs about as well as an overclocked Geforce2 Pro.

for more video card info check:

http://oc3dmark.octeams.com/cardguide.htm

and

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021218/index.html

I just got a 9100 128MB at Newegg.....I think it was a good value.
$85 Shipped.....plus I got a free pen......lol

If you are looking to save money......the 8500LE 64MB is a little cheaper ( $70 shipped I believe) ....some of them come with faster memory......but it seems to be hit or miss.

if you want something that 'overclocks with the system' get a 9600...lol, you can overclock 150+Mhz out of that beast...

my old golden sample gf440 mx oced(147 fsb) would net me around 6900 3dmarks and my radeon 8500 (166fsb) has gotten me 9998 once... i want to get into the10 k club soo bad. but overall i couldn't see much of a differnce betwen the two cards that couldn't be blamed on the fsb increse(got a new mobo when i go tthe 8500) i think image quality is better and dvd playback is much smother though

Back