• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Cooler For Asus V8440 GF4... Input Required

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SimGuy

I've been mulling over the idea of changing out the fan on my Asus V8440 GF4 Ti4400 video card (the little orb) to something a little more powerful.

I'm wondering if this has already been tried (and if so, what were the results)?

After measuring the clearance I have available around the NV25 GPU (even measuring the white trace meant to define the boundary for the Nvidia GF4 reference cooler), I conclude there is enough space to fit this proposed cooling device.

Utilizing a Retail Celeron/P3 FC-PGA heatsink & fan (pic below), I would drill 2 holes to match the fastening points for the NVidia reference cooler. Utilizing some type of non-conductive bolting items, I would be able to fasten the device to the video card.

p2.jpg

Note: I also took a look at the ThermalTake GF4 Copper Cooler Kit (here) and noted the measurements. 68mm x 60mm x 13mm (LxWxH). The Retail Celeron/P3 FC-PGA heatsink measures 64mm x 67mm x 26mm. (Celeron/P3 fan measures 70mm x 67mm x 25mm). I realize that this cooler will block the first PCI slot, however that is of no concern to me (have 4 others to utilize).

After looking at the bottom of the FC-PGA heatsink (pic below), you'll notice that the centre is raised slightly when compared to the rest of the block (understandable, as it did have to clear the Socket 370 CPU attachment interface).

p3.jpg

Utilizing some non-conductive rubber washers which would be mounted on the 4 corners of the device, it could safely rest on the video card without completing any other circuits & shorting anything out.

p3-dots.jpg

Of course the standard Socket 370 clip would be removed (no use for it on a GPU).

Finally, the thermal pad would be removed and the heatsink would be lapped with 800 grit sandpaper to a fine smooth finish.

After physical attachment (with some Arctic Alumina compound) and bolting was completed, the modification would be complete.

Is what I'm proposing at all possible? Would the retail Intel CPU fan put out more CFM in a directed area than, say.. the ThermalTake GF4 Cooler Kit (50mm fan, 10.6 CFM @ 5500 RPM, 30 dbA)?

Suggestions? Comments? Feel free to voice them! Any and all help is appreciated!

hey!
have you already done this mod?
i was going to do the same with my Asus v8440TD but with a p4 stock cooler for 2.8GHz....
did this new cooler help you to oc?
tips?
do i have to use non-conductive bolts?
because i think that they do not touch any electric parts on the card.
thank you!

You dont have to use non-conductive bolts, but it is on you if it goes "ZZZTT!" At best, try to use some non-conductive washers at least. I dont think you wanna be forced to get a new card do you?

I am currently usin a AMD retail heatsink on my 5900se. Doesnt hellp with my oc, but keeps it cooler.

hm no i wanted to do this, because my card gets too hot.
if i overclock too much, the game freezes for about 10 or 15 seconds, and then the card goes on rendering... then i somewhere read, that if (dont know if its the same on older cards) the chip gets too hot, the gard stops rendering in order to get cooler. if its cool enough, it goes on with rendering. like the pentium 4s do....
so this may help me in this case.... then.(doesnt it?)

thanks in forward!

Wow, I posted this a year ago :D

No, I didn't end up using that fan. I dumped the Ti4400 and grabbed a 9700 Pro and eventually moved to a 9800 Pro. :)

Back