• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap Case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azehof

Registered
I want to build a 'dirt' cheap pc, but one that'll still work. I'm trying to decide wether to buy a budget case and 300w PSU for £20 or an antec solution case with 300w PSU for £40.

I know Antec is a better quality brand, but what can I expect from a budget PSU? I'll only be running a 1.1 Duron and a MB with all the onboard vid and sound.

What brands of PSUs are available to you?
Maybe somebody will recognize a good one.

My cheap 250W wouldn't power a Duron like that for more than about 30 seconds at a time, and that was with nothing connected to the mobo but a video card and keyboard. So a cheap 300W might not be enough for a fully equipped Duron computer.

have a look at ebuyers blowout deals - so far I've got 2 cases from there at £10 each, and are perfectly good. Just have damaged packaging.

Just get a sparkle! If you don't trust me, search this forum about sparkles.

I PROMISE you a Sparkle 350W will power your duron for $40. I'm pretty confident the Sparkle 300W will power your duron easily also (for a cheaper price).

bear in mind I'm running a 2400+ OC'd to 2150 on the PSU supplied with one case, so the Duron will be fine. Only problem with them is you have no idea what they look like till you get them. BTW that £10 includes case & PSU

Personally, I would recommend you buy a very cheap case, but try to find one w/o a PSU. Then, simply go to a local store and buy a really nice PSU. The ones that come with cases are crap!

My PC case cost $29 and included a 300-Watt PSU. I had to already replace it with a new one as it completely went out on me within 1yr. The one I then bought was $50 alone for a 300-Watt.

Back