• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me break this bond (thermal epoxy???)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timmyqwest

Disabled
How the heck can i get my H/S off of my 4600, the fan is off (it's a blue orb type design) but the H/S it's self is bonded to the core.

Any ideas, ASAP ;)

my friend said a freezer would work, i dunno how badly i want to put my 4600 in a freezer though

The freezer does work. Put the entire card in a ZIPLOC bag, squeeze out as much of the air as possible without crushing the card, seal it up and freeze it. Take it out after an hour, and gently twist the heatsink back and forth. Freezing the epoxy makes it very brittle, and so it should crack and come off easily.

The key is to be gentle even after. The epoxy is brittle, but so is the rest of the card. Dont think that because you froze it you can just grab it and rip it right off. If twisting gently doesnt work, slide something very thing under it gently, like a credit card. If its still too hard, you can put it back in the freezer for a little while longer.

Yes, after you get the heatsink off clean it up. You might be able to scratch some of the big chunks off with your nails. Then you can use some alchohol to clean up whats left. Just dont put the chissel to it :)

ya, stick it in an anti static bag and throw it(not literally) in the freezer for 20-25 mins, take it out put a plastic card like a credit card ontop of the pcb near the heatsink then stick a flathead screwdriver between the two and give it a twist and it should just pop off.

X-acto knife works well... just slide it underneath. Stick a point into the epoxy, and kinna hit the end with your hand.. it'll eventually crack the epoxy, and then pop off. High grit sandpaper works the rest of it off. :)

-Frank

Back