• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel DDR for Begginers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

i was going to say NOOBIES but i thought that was a little offensive ;) Oh well i had extra time on my hands.. ya know being in spring break and all, and it seems people have a lot of questions on this topic so i figure meh why not eh?

This little thread will answer popular questions on dual channel.

What is dual channel DDR?
When a dual channel memory system is setup, half of the data goes to your first memory stick, the other half goes to your second memory stick. (Almost like RAID) Because of this, your memory bandwidth is doubled (as now you have 2 chips working together as one! twice the power ?;) )

How can i get Dual Channel?
Getting a dual channel setup is quite easy. Firstly make sure that your motherboard is capable of dual channel. Currently in the AMD market the only motherboard chipset that i know of that supports dual channel is the nforce2 and the neforce (the first chipset to introduce dual channel! CONGRATS NVIDIA!)

In the intel market,
875P
865PE
E7205
845G (on some boards.... rumors have it...)
Sis 655
Next get two sticks of ANY and i'll say it again ANY ram (obviously it has to be ddr... hence came the term dual channel ddr). Note I reccomend the two ram chips must be EXACTLY THE SAME! the same ram timings, the same speed, if one is double sided, the other must be double sided, if one is single sided the other must be single sided,etc, as this will give you the best performance.
"You can use different size and brand and speeds, its just as slow as the slowest stick. If you have a 256mb stick and a 512, u would get 512mb of dual channel." (Quote from TheFrag). The 256mb that remains will be run in single channel.

Read your motherboard manual (i know the horror!) and find out which two dimm slots will enable dual channel to work. (For example on my a7n8x deluxe, dimm slot 1 and dimm slot 3 or dimm slot 2 and dimm slot 3 will enable dual channel) and put the two sticks of ram within these 2 slots.

That's all there is to it!

Hey Dual Channel is great and All, but lets say i add another ram stick to the mix is it still in dual channel mode?

The Answer is yes... For example my A7N8X only has 3 dimm slots... so lets say i have 2 sticks of that kingston pc2100 running in dual channel mode. I now have a craving for more ram, so i buy some kingston hyperx pc3500 no biggy, i put it in the slot currently not occupied by ram, and that's it. When data is passed through the sticks in dual channel mode, it will travel at the rate of the dual channel sticks... however when it is passed through the stick not in dual channel it will travel at that speed... it's like having a hybrid dual channel setup... Will performace take a hit? of course! But it'll be worse than true dual channel but better than just single channel ram...

So why do i need dual channel?
No one said you NEED it... it's just good to have! Dual channel ddr gives more memory bandwidth, making it capable of feeding that bandwidth hungry processor (especially that p4 sssshhhh) of yours!

So is dual channel ddr faster than having regular a regular ram setup?
Yes

Well my ram is currently running at or faster than my cpu's fsb so will dual channel ddr show any performance boost?

Well it all depends... Generally the answer is yes, you will see a performace boost. It won't be anything HUGE! maybe 5 % maybe 20% maybe even more.. all depends (my little way of saying its uncertain exactly how much ;))

So from what you said before, will dual channel be worthless on an amd system?
No NOT WORTHLESS! when figuring out the speed ddr ram is going at you follow the equation fsb *2 so standard athlon xp not overclocked is at a 133mhz bus *2 gives it the 266mhz bus... (so there's really no point to buy pc2700 or higher on an athlon xp system that isn't overclocked...) A Pentium 4 however runs on a quad pumped fsb. so let's take the p4 b's they run on a 133mhz bus just as the athlons do so since quad means 4 simple multiplication 133*4=532..... hence comes the 533 mhz bus (ya crazy intel adding one more mhz!)

with dual channel ddr enabled,your ram is running twice as fast. so on an amd system... if your processor was at a 133mhz bus... your memory would be calculated as 133*2*2 which is suppossedly 532mhz however your processor works at the 266mhz bus.... so lets see 532-266=266.... so your memory bus is theoretically running 266mhz faster than your processor bus... while without dual channel ddr, your processor AND memory would be running at the same bus speed... (266 mhz in this scenerio). Because of this, people say that really athlons don't need dual channel, as the ram already travels as fast as the cpu!

On a Pentium 4 however, it is a totally different case! If you have a pentium 4 which runs on a quad pumped fsb... of 533 while your ddr is running at 266mhz your memory is going slower than your processor! Thereby running your ram in dual channel ddr your memory is going the same speed as the processors fsb... thereby giving a greater performance boost than the Athlons.

I hope that was confusing... i tried to make it not confusing but i just couldn't get how else to say it...

Those are the qestions i saw being asked the most.... coulda been others... If you would like to contribute a question to this faq then be my guest i'll try to answer it... or maybe another forummer with post the answer (ya like that'll ever happen ;)).
ALSO if I HAVE MADE ANY MISTAKE IN ANSWERING A QUESTION, OR IF I MISSED SOMETHING OUT OR YOU JUST WANNA PLAIN OL ADD SOMETHING JUST TELL ME AND I'LL CHANGE IT!

Last edited:
Good Write up

Very good write up. Here is some more info,

Some Dual channel chips in no particular order:

875P
865PE
E7205
845G
Sis 655
nForce2

I left of the RAMBUS, because you are talking about DDR. Xeon not on list too

There are more too. I think it is mostly up to the motherboard manufacturer as well. My EPOX had DCDDR and it was a 845G chip. But most 845PE chips do not have the support?

Last edited:
hey pretty ggood sticky material methings... '

do you by chance.. know how it works for sure? as far as i know (but im not sure) its similar to RAID 0 where it sends half hte stuff to each stick....

the changes have been made.. thanks tw00sh for the other chipsets...

Crash override as far as i know you are correct in your assumption that is sends data half to each stick....

Need help with DDR

I want to buy an Asus P4C800 dual DDR board that supports 400 mhz DDR. I have a P4 2.2 now that is 400 fsb. Can I use XMS 3500 mem in this board. In the future I will upgrade to new cpu with 800 fsb so I would like the faster mem but will it present any problems with the northwood 2.2 overclocked a bit.

I think you should remove the "self doubting" parts, and replace them with fact...if I were a new member I wouldnt be to conifident in what I was reading if the author didnt seem sure in himself.

keep up the good work ;)

Note the two ram chips must be EXACTLY THE SAME! the same ram timings, the same speed, if one is double sided, the other must be double sided, if one is single sided the other must be single sided,etc. What i reccomend you do is get 2 of the same kind of ram chips. So for example i can take 2 sticks of my kingston pc2100 128mb and it won't matter as long as both the sticks are the same!

No, not EXACTLY the same. You can use different size and brand and speeds, its just as slow as the slowest stick. If you have a 256mb stick and a 512, u would get 512mb of dual channel. I am not sure what happens to the 512's other 256mbs, tho

the i845g does not have dcddr it only runs single channel

This is incorrect. My EPOX 4G4A has a 845G chip and it DOES have dual channel support. I just upgraded from this board.

humm, the first dual channel ddr P4 boards were the granitbays, now the canterwood and springdles, if we are talking desktop. the 845 series has always beed single channel. I believe the 845pe is newer than the 845G so why would the PE version have only single channel???

well being a noobie err beginner, this was a good read. consolidated most of the other duel channel threads into one - minus the benchmark tests. I'm just wondering one thing. Don't other system components besides the CPU use memory? If so, regardelss if the CPU can use all that extra bandwith, won't other components be benifited?

nitewulf said:
well being a noobie err beginner, this was a good read. consolidated most of the other duel channel threads into one - minus the benchmark tests. I'm just wondering one thing. Don't other system components besides the CPU use memory? If so, regardelss if the CPU can use all that extra bandwith, won't other components be benifited?

and without the arguing:D

Dual Channel This...

CorsairXMX@ 5-2-2-2.0, tightest timing@ 233 FSB DC

233FSB_5-2-2-2.png

so has anyone done some testing/benching when it comes to adding in a 3rd stick of RAM? It seems like this would affect performance once data is read/written to that stick...

I would like to know how much of a difference it would make...

wow my thread is sooooo popular :) Okay guys thanks for the corrections! I'll update right now

okay just got done updating.... got rid of all my doubts did more research and made them facts :)

Also fixed the info on running dual channel and the chips having to be exactly the same

Last edited:
Back