• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In your opinion, Whats the BEST Slot 1 motherboard ever made?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Abit BH6 is the original legendary overclocking board. More overclockers cut their teeth on a BH6 and a Celly 300A than any other combo in computing history. If you want to build an old school hot rod, this should be your first choice.

If you want a rock-stable board, go for an Intel Seattle. You can still find these NIB and I swear they won't crash if you hit them with a crowbar.

Both use the Intel 440BX chipset.

BHD

I personally think it was the Asus P2B extremely reliable.
Which also used Intel 440BX chipset and was very overclockable

Last edited:
BaldHeadedDork said:
If you want to build an old school hot rod, this should be your first choice.

BHD

Cool, this is what Im going for..Old school..I have more fun messing with these older Intel Procs and stuff...not having much with AMD all of the sudden...

I had an Abit BH6/Celeron 300A combo running at 450 for 1-1/2 years... it was great! But I think the Abit BE6 version 2 was actually a much better mobo.

Last edited:
I have been using an ASUS P3B-F with a 1 Gig. P-III processor for many years now as a backup computer in my office. I have found it to be reliable and trouble free and the built in RAID has worked well at keeping disk speed up to par. It also handles my ATI All-in-Wonder 128 card with aplomb (I think I get extra points for using that word don't I?). It also uses the Intel 440BX chipset which is highly overclockable (though I've never really tried to OC it, never had any need to). It is also supposedly upgradeable with an add-in board to the Tulatin 1.4 Gig Celeron chips. I doubt I'll be trying this out, but I've read success stories on this upgrade on this board.

I used the P2B for a long time. Super stable board. OCed a PII 300 to 472 MHz stable.

P2B-F and P3B-F should be very good also. Basically same board with more FSB/voltage options with Coppermine support.

Originally the P2B was only able to handle a PII cpu But and I can't remember at what Bios revision it was they were able to take a PIII cpu, up until early 2002 I was running a P2B PIII 600 overclocked to 816

A blast from the past! My favorite was the much maligned Abit BE6-2 that gave alot of people trouble but never me. I was lucky for a change. I had a run of about 4 BF7s go bad due to cheap defective capacitors. Another favorite were the bx6 boards which were always great for their time. Soyo made one of the best slot 1 boards, but i can't remember the model number anymore.

Long live the BE6-2 champion of the slot-1 boards!

be6-II,,,,, just gave away a be6-II with a p3e550/slot and some fast old seimens ram. But still run a bx133 p3e 700 @ 1001

psy

LawyerLynn said:
I have been using an ASUS P3B-F with a 1 Gig. P-III processor for many years now as a backup computer in my office.

another overclocking lawyer like flounder and me!

just wait until your secret gets out at the office. i've built like 10 computers for all of the cheapskate fellow lawyers on my floor in my office building. i feel like the IT guy on the floor most of the time rather than a lawyer, lol!;) i guess some people might consider that more honorable than lawyering anyway.:eek:

psyshack said:
be6-II,,,,, just gave away a be6-II with a p3e550/slot and some fast old seimens ram. But still run a bx133 p3e 700 @ 1001

psy

bx133 with a p3 750 o/c'd to 800 something is still my main rig at work after nearly 3 years of flawless operation. it has served me very well (until tomorrow now that i've jinxed it)

I followed with ASUS products for years until last year with my 1st ABIT MB being my current TH7II's
ANyways i liked the ASUS P3V4X and before that the ASUS P34F.

First off it's gotta be a BX (That rules out VIA junk like the P3V4X). I tried them all, and the Asus P3B-F was the best of the lot. The only thing limiting about the P3B-F is relatively few FSB choices, with 150 being the highest.

On the ram of the day, the P3B-F was the only board I could get 100% at 2-2-2 at 150fsb. The Abits always needed cas 3 witht he same chip and ram. My BX development ended with a C step P3-700 at 1050 on the P3B-F.

I could run as much as 160fsb on the Abits, but the Asus was faster at 150fsb. The Abit's made the highest clock rate, the P3B-F the highest performance. Later ram quality improved to where lesser boards would stand cas2 at 150+, largely eliminating the advantage of the P3B-F.

While BE6 or BH6 Abits were ok, they later BF6 Abit was better. Most people used BE or BH6's because they had them, not because there was no better. A BF6 is a later board with more options, increased stability at extreme FSB, and better cpu support. It is in every way the best Abit, and second only to the P3B-F in my experience.

Back