• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to start a GUI in mandrake?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TyRex

ok.....I've installed mandrake 9.1..............problem is it takes me straight to the text interface. No GUI at all..........am I missing something?

That's odd. Log in with your normal username and password, type startx and post back here if there are any errors. Also, what hardware are you using.

that worked......thanx. Problem was I used one computer to install it on a harddrive, and then put the harddrive in another computer(with a 7 y/o pci vid card). At least I'm thinking thats it

Yeah, thats most likely the cause of the problem. It was probably configured for the video card in the orginal machine, and is having trouble finding a non-existant card in the new machine. Usually, though, you would have to do some reconfiguring by hand, but maybe Mandrake has some fancy autoconfigure thing I'm not aware of.

Could also be that you didn't tell it to start in GUI mode by default during the install. Might be able to fix that by editing /etc/inittab and changing the default runlevel from 3 to 5 (I assume Mandrake uses those semi standard runlevels, but a bunch of distros I've tried recently do not, so your mileage may vary).

Apart from that, you should find 9.1 pretty straightforward to configure. I've given up completely on Windows, I now operate solely on Mandrake 9.1

IMO, KDE 3.1 is the best eye candy GUI for 9.1, Gnome seemed a bit weak by comparison. The Mandrake Control Centre also helps:)

now if i can just get the resolution to change to something a little more eye pleasing than 640x480

RedDeathDrinker said:
Apart from that, you should find 9.1 pretty straightforward to configure. I've given up completely on Windows, I now operate solely on Mandrake 9.1

IMO, KDE 3.1 is the best eye candy GUI for 9.1, Gnome seemed a bit weak by comparison. The Mandrake Control Centre also helps:)

Go Red! I like the sig.

Tyrex, your video card may limit your resolution. Check the original documentation or google if you've lost it.

RedDeathDrinker said:
I've given up completely on Windows, I now operate solely on Mandrake 9.1

I'm not ready for that yet. I use MDK 9.1 almost exclusively now but I still feel like a windows user. 9.1 is 10X more versatile than XP but it's just as point and clicky. I'm trying to learn the more basics of linux before I switch.

Back