• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lighted Mouse pad..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiseass

Okay I tried searching and it keeps telling me that my search is under 4 words or something?

What I want to know is I'm thinking of doing a lighted mouse pad (piece of acrlic underneath my current mouse pad) and want to know the easiest way to power the LED(s)..

Also any tutorials on the subject would be a great plus! Thanks in advance!

I have some links but I need to get them off my other PC. I will post back soon as I get them.

BTW: You can power them of a battery (radio shack has little enclosures (sp?) for batts.) or power them off a USB port or someting.

batteries woudl work, but you would have to replace them every now and then, or you could get some kind of lower volatage adapter from a normal outlet

an old rechargable battery from a rc car, or phone?
or you could just buy some at wal-mart

cool thx for the links all.

Just another quickie question, I don't know too much about electronics and the different leds and whatnot, but say I wanted to use a blue led or red or whatever, I know some of them have different power usages? Like one will need more power then the next? say if I run it off of a usb cable how would I know what power rating for the led to use, also what about batteries? I know AA are 1.5 volts so if I ran something that used say 2 AA or something like that how would I figure out the power rating?

Also I remember seeing a while back a website that sold all sorts of LEDs and whatnot?

okay cool...now yet more questions...how big is a 3mm led? I mean like compared to whats in the keyboard lights and whatnot. I see alot of 5mm but they almost look too big, but that could just be the pic.

three mm is probably about the smallest you can get. That would probably be ideal for the mousepad. You can make a 3mm out of a 5mm if you file it down, just be sure to not hit metal. If you want to know exactly how big 3mm's are get a metric ruler =)

Back