• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

measure monthly data transfer for internet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-N-

I was just kinda curiuos.. it might be easy but I don't know how to do it. How would I calculate the total amount of data my cable modem recieves? Is there some type of program? I just wanna know so I can see how many freakin gigs pass through my modem every month.

thanks.

Yes it can be done but, all your traffic would have to pass thru one computer so you could measure it. I used to do this before I got a cable/dsl router. It depends on your setup. If you use a router you will have to measure on each machine. If you use one machine as a router/gateway you would only have to check one machine. I used a program from "Analog-x".

best program I've seen for it is DU Meter. Great program.. stats on current uploading/downloading, stopwatch (allows you to run a stopwatch & see how much data is sent / recieved in that time), daily/weekly/monthly totals, and projections. If your on dialup (or pppoe), it'll track how long your dialled up over those periods aswell.

thanks guys. Those are both very nice programs... I'm gonna spend some more time with em to see which one works best.

well I dont mean 2 sound funny but if you wont restart ur comp int that time then just go to control panel and then Network connections and then choose ur default modem then right click go to properties and then down at the bottom there shud be sumthin like show icon of notification and then just enable that and then down at the bottom will be a window for ur modem click on that and then you have got sumthin 2 tell u if not just get sumthin like Bandwith Monitor and then select it 2 start when ur comp starts

If I've translated this guy's post correctly, he's saying that there's a way of getting Windows to do the tracking. However, it will only work so long as you don't get disconnected or reboot your computer, and there's no way of resetting the stats at the beginning of the month.

Carnil said:
If I've translated this guy's post correctly, he's saying that there's a way of getting Windows to do the tracking. However, it will only work so long as you don't get disconnected or reboot your computer, and there's no way of resetting the stats at the beginning of the month.
In 2k and XP, it keeps track of the amount of data sent across a connection, in the connection status (Start/Settings/Network & Dialup Connections/Your Connection). The settings are only for the current open connection, so if you disconnect, or reboot, the statistics reset to zero. Best to get DU Meter or NSL.

I was a long-time user of AnalogX before I stumbled upon DU Meter. NetStatLive hasn't been updated in ages - it definitely lacks the finer statistics that DU Meter can give you.

It's always nice to compare your download/upload from month to month, week to week, day to day, etc...

Back