• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I buy Chieftec Matrix or Dragon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BrainStorm

I am going to buy a new case that I eventually plan to use for a water cooled rig. I've narrowed my choices down to two cases that are basically that are the same as far as internals go.

They are either the:

Chieftec Matrix
http://www.directron.com/ma01wd.html

or the:

Chieftec Dragon
http://www.directron.com/da01wd.html

Just based on looks, I'd buy the Matrix case. But I'm also concerned about airflow. I'm wondering if there is any difference in the airflow through the air intakes in the front bottom of these two cases. I know the airflow for the Dragon will be fine, because I have an Antec SX-830 which has the same grill in the lower front. My question is whether anyone has any experience with the Matrix case and would the airflow in the lower front of the case be as good or better than the Dragon.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Matrix

I don't believe that the matrix will serve any restrictions on airflow. I also have an dragon case and that airflow is great. I have seen the matrix up close and i want to get that case myself if I can. It looks pretty cool and I like big server cases!!! I say go for it and have fun modding.:D

Here is an actual quote if you don't believe me.

The Matrix design uses exactly the same case structure as the Dragon series. However, there are more ventilation holes on the top door of the Matrix, allowing maximum cooling effect on the entire case and particularly the drives.

Full tower dragon. Thats what I have and I like it. I have a dragon case to go with the dragon on the side of it.

ya its the same case i belive except different front bezels. but those holes make even better airflow. but i think the differences will be minimal.

I ordered the Matrix from Directron w/all panaflo fans I could fill it up with and they never gave the option on the connectors for the fans. I assumed they would come with the 3 pin connectors. After it came the fans had 2 pin connectors. I called Directron and they told me I would have to buy the fan tails for 3.99 or 5 for 15.00 but they would pay for the shipping. Just be careful as to what u get from Directron as far as the upgrades to the case u decide on.

The Matrix Case is great, lots of room 6-5.25 bays it barely fits under my desk (Planning on moving it to the side of the desk on a stand maybe) . If you want a really large full tower case and plan on using most of the cd bays then go for the Matrix , personally I love the design on the front door verses the normal Dragon front panel. The airflow is wonderful now that I have all the case fans running.

Ah, more good input. Thanks to you guys with Matrix's for chiming in, especially Ricky TwoGuns, since he has both and answered the question I had about comparative airflow. I'm leaning towards the Matrix now.

I just got my cheftec Dragon on Thursday an i love it. My temps are 5 degrees lower than i used to have on my last case that i had to have open. This is the first time i am able to have the side door on and Not get a increase the temps. Also if u are worried about AirFlow, u should use the Round IDE cables. They make a big difference.
Here is a pic of my rig with the round IDE cables:

pccase1.jpg

They really help the airflow.

Back