• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what to get for 150bucks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2

Registered
hi,iam not sure if i buy a ram or a power supply i have 256mb kingston pc2700 and it can handle up to 440mhz with 2.9v and a 250 watt FSP powersupply.i know i have to change both of them but which one will you start with i have p4 [email protected] to 165 fsb with 1.7v. which one will you choose corsair 512mb pc3500 or enermax 550watt?.thks..

id get a PSU first...
but if your current PSU is running strong, then there may be no need to upgrade. however, for future upgrades sake, you might want to have a decent grade PSU already so that future decisions on purchases arnt affected by that fact that upgrading something means also forking over 100 bucks for a new PSU

I would say psu...if you are considering buying a new psu, you imply that something is wrong with it or it is not good enough. If this is so, then is could damage your hardware or not be able to run w/the new ram or both.

my psu gives 3.3V:3.02 5.5V:4.97-5.08 at %100 load and i set the cpu voltage to 1.8v it decrease to 1.70v is it because icant go further?i mean 165 fsb is the end for me. my cpu is 2,4sl6ef(3302)costarica it must be better than that!.if iset the memory speed to lower then the 440mhz i think it can handle more fsb speeds.i think my problem is not enough power you suggest me to buy the Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA) 550W ? that is 155$ in directron?
http://www.directron.com/peg651pfma.html

Mastametz said:
I would say psu...if you are considering buying a new psu, you imply that something is wrong with it or it is not good enough. If this is so, then is could damage your hardware or not be able to run w/the new ram or both.
ididnt know that but how could the small size power supply could damage the hardware will you tell me about it?

how about vantec 520 stealth watt powersupply 119$ will you recommend it? and also antec true 550watt cheapest
101$ ?

I am looking at the Antec TP 550. Is it worth the $20-30 to get the True Control 550 which is the TP 550 plus a front panel with fan control and fine adjustment for 3.3, 5 and 12V. Is that extra control useful?

why not go with a 512mb PC3200 ram and a 350-400watt Sparkel/Fortron PSU...

coz you can probably get both for around $150 :D

but if you dont want a PC3200 ram then get the PSU first...

i ordered this EG651P-VE (FMA) 550w enermax from directron for 155$ what you guys think?
directron_1740_43611692

here is the current voltages with my 250 watt powersupply installed 3 case fans 1 harddisk 1 cdrom and a motherboard also are these voltages too low?

1.jpg

Those voltages look fine to me. FSP/Sparkle 250's are vastly underrated and can put out a whole lot more than 250 watts. It'll make a great backup PSU in case you have trouble with the new one.

i think i will use this 250watt Fsp to my other comp. and i dont know what iam going to do with 550w enermax :)

Hookem said:
Question is...do you really need a 500+ watt power supply??? I mean a 400 watt Fortron/Sparkle is a brute:)

Had an Antec 403 (and still do) however at 2v core, 2.84v ram, 9500 (at 438/600) The psu was cutting out. I really liked the psu and it held me for many, many boards and oc's but would not hold up on the above setup. The new true control does. Now I admit that I run a little extreme at times what with dual tecs and all however the psu is the one thing that I do not wish to worry about and no longer do. I guess that the question might better be phrased in "How hard are you going to push your setup"?

how is this enermax that iam getting? it says 218$regular price in directron and on sale 155$

ps2 said:

ididnt know that but how could the small size power supply could damage the hardware will you tell me about it?

If you undersupply something, it could catch on fire. It happened to my mobo a while back. Heh. I would say you go with a smaller psu for $90 USD (Antec 430W Power Supply TRUE430 at Newegg) and then you have some money left over for another stick of 256mb of ram.

ps2 said:
hi,iam not sure if i buy a ram or a power supply i have 256mb kingston pc2700 and it can handle up to 440mhz with 2.9v and a 250 watt FSP powersupply.i know i have to change both of them but which one will you start with i have p4 [email protected] to 165 fsb with 1.7v. which one will you choose corsair 512mb pc3500 or enermax 550watt?.thks..

Most definately a new PSU...you never know...you may even get more FSB stability with your ram with a GOOD power Supply.

Hammer

Back