• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

series or parallel ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jackal2513

with my second rad should i run it after the original first rad in series or put a Y splitter before both rads and have half teh flow going into one, half going into the other .. then joining the 2 tubes up before going into the block ?

If theyt are series then wahetever the temp of teh water is coming out of the rad at teh moment (around 30 degrees idle in fact !) ..... this will most definitely get lower if it then goes into another rad. SO I understand that but don't understadn teh logic behind running them in paralle;l ... if there is any that is ?

Anyone care to explain and advise ?

cheers

Rich

I suppose it depends on your setup which way you want to run it. I think that running them in parallel would be better, because each radiator gets the same temp water (the hotter the water, the more efficient the radiator), and so can cool it better than if you had two in series (because the first one will be doing most of the cooling, the second one will get cooler water, and so might drop a couple of decimal places out of the water temp).

If you run them in parallel, then the water will spend longer in the radiator (splitting the water in half, 1/2 the flow one way, 1/2 the flow the other, so the water will be going slower), so it will be better cooled.

Not really sure tho

i guess a lot of it is as you say, to do with maximising the temperature difference, thereby maximising efficiency or rate of heat transfer

What I said was pretty jumbled, pretty much typed it as i thought of it, but you seem to have got the drift. You might want to get some more feedback though before you do anything, as I am just speculating from what i've read

as hobbyist, id like to see someone take the gpu temp from a series and par. setup.. As a plumber, Id like to know how much water is passing through each block. What I mean is. water will take the path of least resistance , so are you getting higher gpu temps because of the low restriction cpu block? probably not, a good enough pump will flow more than the block can, but it still would be intersting:sn:

When running dual rads, it is usually best to run them in PARALLEL. That is splitting the flow with a Y and going into each rad, then come out each rad and rejoin with another Y. The reason why parallel is 'ususally' best with rads is this: Rads are most efficient when the water going IN is significantly warmer than ambient temps. When you run in series, the water going into rad 2 is not at it's HOTTEST, it has already been cooled by rad 1. Plus, parallel will reduce the flow through the rads a bit and this is a good thing. Now if you were running multiple PELTS and wanted multiple rads, I would give you different advice... but for straight H20 cooling and dual rads, parallel is the ticket.

I have searched, Im not talking about the radiators. par. is better there. I mean the water blocks. the block with less restriction is going to get more water. I was wondering if that effects the gpu cooler(block). If the gpu block has a greater restriction than the cpu block, will the gpu get less flow in par. than in series?

Or for agruements sake if it even matters at that point? :eek:

Back