• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what happens on a motherboard without cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toutin

Registered
I've just recovered this supposedly-dead Abit VT6X4 motherboard from a friend and I'd like to make sure the board is broken. When everything is turned on, cpu fan begin to spin and nothing happens, no biiip at all.
I was wondering then what happens when there are no cpu on the board...
For now, I don't know if it's the cpu or the mobo that is broken so I'm waiting for your help

toutin (Jul 23, 2001 03:33 p.m.):
Prolly the cpu then

Not necessarily. Get a known good CPU and put it on that board and see if it boots and runs the system. That is the only way to tell. It is impossible to tell if it's either the CPU or the board if all your doing is powering up a board with nothing in it.

I have seen a dual processor motherboard that does not require additional processors. It has a 286, or something built in, all you need is a boot disk.

Well, went and started a system today without the cpu, just to see what i'd do. i was shocked to hear it talking to me in japanese! Had forgotten to disable the "Dr. Voice" on the mobo. It could have been calling me all the names in the book for all I know. Was pretty funny cause I left it on, and went to lunch, came back and everybody was annoyed as all hell because it was still reeatingthe same message over and over again. Musta drove them nuts. :D

Back