• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What did I do now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobby Manus

I have been tweaking my computer for a good 16 hours straight now. First it was graphcs card tweaks, then some minor bios tweaks, and next thing you know I have a heavy duty house fan blowing into the side of my case and Im runing at 150mhz fsb. I went to unlock my L1 bridges on my processor via pencil trick, not realizing that it only works with AMD chips! Puting the heatsink back on was a serius hassel, and I got a bit violent. I may have scraped some of the surface with a screw driver while puting it back on. I took a flashlight and thouraly inspected it and there is no damage as far as I can see. I go to boot
and my monitor gives me no signal. I immediatly thnk that something is not taking the high fsb, so i brng it down to just graphics card, ram, and processor. Still no signal to monitor. I am not getting any forms of beeps, just sits there on doing nothing. Ive changed the monitor, the graphics card, and im about to try changing the ram but i dont think it will change anything. Ive also tried seting the jumper to 133mhz fsb, but still no go. t says in the manual that the bios needs to have fsb set to defualt, and mine is set to user define and then 150mhz. I cant get in the bios to change this back. Tried clearing the cmos to no avail. It says turn off the computer, change the jumper pins from 1-2 to 2-3 and leave it like that for a few secs, then put it back to 1-2. Should I pull out the power cord to do this? How long is a few secs, I gave it a minut is that suffiecent? I dont think the cmos cleared becuase i still cant get a signal from my monitor. Here is a lst of important system specs.

Shuttle AV-11 Motherboard w/ Intel PIII 933 (socket-type)
GeForce 2 Ultra
256 SDRAM pc133 cas 2
soundblaster pc128
d-link network card

Any help is greatly apreciated becuase I am pretty lost on this one!

You should unplug it and then short it out. Modern power supplies (ATX) are like modern TVs or stereos, the system still has power running through it even when turned off. For TVs and radios its to keep the preset stations and other preferences, for computers its to allow the computer to be turned on remotely by lan or modem function. I don't know your board setup but mine has a green LED that stays on even when the system is off. I have to either unplug my system, turn off the UPS the computer is connected to or turn off the small switch on the back of the power supply to completely shut off my computer. Unplug it and short it and wait then retry, hopefully that will solve your problem.

it takes about 5 seconds to clear the cmos you can pull th battery and jump the two contacts or there may be a cmos_clear jumper located on your mobo somewhere

the jumper is instant. I've seen board mfg's say 5 to 10 mins.......I honestly don't know. I generally pull the batter and go drink a 12 pack.....by time I'm back 12 hours have passed out.......er I mean passed. =)

Well this post kinda took off in the AMD mobo forum, but basically the final update is that I killed my mobo, and the processor is still ok. Now I just need some good recomendations for an intel mobo I supose. This time I'm not overclocking, becuase I am going to buy a new motherboard, and sell it with this used processor to a friend for 150$. Then I'm going to pick me up a nice new amd ddr mobo + a 1.2ghz processor. I cant belive you guys get such great overclocks with only FSB! But that would mean I would have to replace my 20$ best buy network card and about the same price for my pc128 soundblaster LOL. I doubt they can take over about 40mhz bus. Thats all I could get out of them on this last mobo at least. So any good mobos out there for about 100$? Overclocking is a nice added feature but not likely going to get much use with the guy I'm selling this to.

Shadow ÒÓ said:
the jumper is instant. I've seen board mfg's say 5 to 10 mins.......I honestly don't know. I generally pull the batter and go drink a 12 pack.....by time I'm back 12 hours have passed
out.......er I mean passed. =)

I had the same problem CMOS wouldnt do anything I thought I fried my MBO. I took it out of the case and just for the hell of it fired it up out of the case and it worked fine??? So I dont know if it was because I disconected the power supply for awhile or what , but give it a try it might work

Back