• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone in graphics design?? (i think this is in the right forum)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timmyqwest

Disabled
I thought i had it all planned out, i wanted to go into the IT field.

Then a rep from the art institute came in today and now i'm all about graphic design.

Money is the root of all evil and all...so how much do they make, how competative is the field

Is the ability to be extreamly artistic needed (needed...not desired, i have the desire i dont have the ability, yet)

pip said:
well it really depends on what field you enter

I'm thinking of marketing type stuff...

bill boards, logo's, ads, bags of chips, posters...i dont care, i just love photoshop and what it can do and my knowledge of the program is quiet pathetic

well it's really not that difficult if you can get your name out there and show some of your work to companies as long as you're talented, like make a cool penguin logo for like linux everyone likes those

pip said:
well it's really not that difficult if you can get your name out there and show some of your work to companies as long as you're talented, like make a cool penguin logo for like linux everyone likes those

i think my new rig (once i get it back up) and all summer is a good testing ground...

the real problem is that i've never really ahd a real computer to work on, 30 seconds to make one change on a project that i dont liek, gets old very fast :) (slowly...)

timmyqwest said:
Money is the root of all evil and all...so how much do they make, how competative is the field

It's good to keep an eye out for things like this.......but at the same time, make sure you'll be happy doing it as a career. Having a job that you can enjoy for the long haul is just as important as the money

I know some people that make a good living doing graphics work, but then again I know some that just cant seem to their feet get off the ground......

Re: Re: Anyone in graphics design?? (i think this is in the right forum)

TyRex said:

It's good to keep an eye out for things like this.......but at the same time, make sure you'll be happy doing it as a career. Having a job that you can enjoy for the long haul is just as important as the money

I know some people that make a good living doing graphics work, but then again I know some that just cant seem to their feet get off the ground......

i agree, no poitn in living life if your not having fun.

On the other hand it's very hard to have fun when your struggling to keep the bills paid

My cousin started out doing this (a few events in his life has pretty much ended his "perfect" path he was on) he started out making 27k a year...i can go into networking and start out at like 40...

That and i wouldnt exactly consider myself artistic, which would only make it harder

Albreck said:
networking making 40k a year!!! what titles does he have????

Well i didnt mean networking entirely, a guy i know is the network admin for some advertising firm (how ironic...)

i should have said IT to be more correct, now, that is simply what my sources have said (library books, college forms as well as a few people i know...some of which started at 60k)

timmyqwest said:
I'm thinking of marketing type stuff...

bill boards, logo's, ads, bags of chips, posters...i dont care, i just love photoshop and what it can do and my knowledge of the program is quiet pathetic

You might want to switch over the Paint Shop Pro. It's more straightforward, easier to learn, and it handles of a number of things more efficiently.
If you have a good working knowledge of the marketing process your resume will stand out. In advertising, psychology plays a larger part than the actual artistic application.

heres a rough draft of something i'm doing for a few buds

*photoshop*

finalbanner2.txt

Ive been in the GD field for 20 years plus. A lot has happened since Pagemaker and Laserwriters caused quite a revolution. But since those days all I can say is that there are fewer job opportunitys and many more talented individual with smokin photoshop, flash and 3dMax skills.

Unless your threshold for pain and rejection is high, go with the IT carrer.

Back