• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Esay way to bend/curve Lexan??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its actually almost perfectly clear, its just a little crappy looking cause I hadn't cleaned it after the bending and I guess it picked up stuff off my hands & kitchen counter.

I bent it over a cookie jar actually, it had the same curve as I needed. I musta spend 20 min looking for the right thing.

Once it went like jello Its so pliable I coulda tied it in a know if I wanted to, and I just laid it up against the coockie jar and within a few seconds after hitting that cold ceramique It was hard as a rock, and didn't spring at all.

Will update when I have more time to finish it, haven't done anything else yet.

UPDATE AGAIN!

Finally got around to this again.... here we go:

scoup.jpg

Now just to make some way to mount it. That will come in the days to come... dang, where does all my time seem to go??

Just throwing this out here...

I found a decent/cheap/available adhesive for this stuff at Lowe's. It's a transparent PVC cement in their plumbing isle, the one with the black label.
First ingredient is MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) which is the main ingredient in the 'real stuff' that costs 6 times more.
It's thicker, like model cement, but brushing it on with a Testor's brush works great. Nice clear joint.

Nice work bending there buddy!

This actually looks better in real life.... The glue i used to make the joints looks really white in the pics but it is acutally clear. But anyway, thanks for the useful info!

Well, I wasn't trying to hint or anything, it really does look nice.

But now for the real question, what'd it do for your temps?

I haven't actually installed it yet, as of right now i'm lacking the effort to go about making a mounting bracket of some sort. Maybe i'll get around to that sometime this weekend, maybe not, supposed to be nice and I plan to spend a lot of time outside hopefully :)

Diggrr said:
Just throwing this out here...

I found a decent/cheap/available adhesive for this stuff at Lowe's. It's a transparent PVC cement in their plumbing isle, the one with the black label.
First ingredient is MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) which is the main ingredient in the 'real stuff' that costs 6 times more.
It's thicker, like model cement, but brushing it on with a Testor's brush works great. Nice clear joint.

Nice work bending there buddy!

Do you have any idea if methylene chloride bonds Lexan? It works wonders with acrylic but I am planning on building my next case out of lexan for superior fracture resistance. The Ambroid Pro Weld methylene chloride is water thin so when applied it disolves the joint together and evaporates leaving zero residue. The joints are crystal clear as long as the plastics edges are smooth before bonding. I really appreciate the help! This is the one thing keeping me from ordering my Lexan.

REDDRUMZ said:
Can a peice of lexan be heated and made into a concave form?

I don't see why not... when it gets hot enough it gets just like jelly.

Bender said:

Do you have any idea if methylene chloride bonds Lexan? It works wonders with acrylic but I am planning on building my next case out of lexan for superior fracture resistance. The Ambroid Pro Weld methylene chloride is water thin so when applied it disolves the joint together and evaporates leaving zero residue. The joints are crystal clear as long as the plastics edges are smooth before bonding. I really appreciate the help! This is the one thing keeping me from ordering my Lexan.

Anyone know if it will work? I really must know so I can start construction on a new lexan case.

UPDATE! Never mind I just found out it will work! Now can anyone find me a very inexpensive place to purchase Lexan?

Last edited:
Hey Bender, Sorry for not replying earlier, I had my gall bladder out monday and couldn't stand to sit at the desk. My belly button would bleed.

I have no experience with lexan. I just use the cheapo stuff they have at Lowe's and the local hardware. I handle my stuff with care anyway, so I never scratch anything.

The only drawback to using the stuff, is that it has to dry overnight. The joints don't have to be perfect, so I guess it breaks even in the end with the real adhesive (except availability and price).
The adhesive they sell on usplasics website doesn't say it's for a specific plastic, so I'd guess they're pretty interchangeable.

Back