• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cyrix 366 Socket 7--Replace w/AMD 500?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drkside0fthemoon

Hi there, I have a Cyrix 366 (actually running at 2.5X100) I have been told that since the board is Socket 7, and the core voltage is able to be changed to adapt to the K6-2 500, that I could "simply pop in the better processor" and change voltage settings of course. Now, if this is possible (which is seems it should be) What else should I know? I am going to order with fan/heatsink. Also, could I squeeze in the 550? Are there going to be any BIOS problems? I am new to the "tweeking" world. Thanks for any help~~~

hey dude
what mobo is this being done on ? . I've done a similar swapout for my uncle jon on his asus mobo and it's easy as pie man
give us more info. so as we can assist

catch you on the flip side m8

I am not sure which mobo it is. It came in an Emachine though if that helps. I know I know...it's a junk machine. But I added a better sound card,modem,hard drive and Ram. It's just being used as my MP3 player for my home stereo. All I know, is that the voltage is able to be set for the AMD with the jumpers and that it's a 100MHz board. Other than that, I am at a loss.

Oh...one other thing while I am ordering. What is the difference between a K6-2 and K6-2+? Is this the 3D-Now!? Haven't seen anything regarding this on the websites selling the processors.

the one to go for is the k62+550 as it's the best of the k62 family it's basicaly a k62 3dnow with a much better and more extended implementation of the 3d now instruction set ie. it's better integrated and streamlined and overclocks better. I've a friend in japan who has his k62+550 at 790 mhz and he's trying for 800mhz (it's for his degree course) his case is cryo. cooled !!!!!!!! the best I've had from my k62+550 is 690mhz ........ 6.0 multiplier @ 115fsb and 2.8vcore and it's stable superorb twin fan cpu cooler with arctic silver thermal compound the cpu's cap has been replaced with a copper one and I've chipset cooling and two case fans (100mm dia.)
try and find out the make of mobo take a close look at it also look for things like multiplier settings etc. marked on the mobo or inside the case panels or lids
or try sis soft sandra 2000 benchmark for info on the mobo or h_oda's soft fsb or cpu id. for info

good luck fellow traveler

Yes, there is a BIG difference between K6-2 and K6-2+.

K6-2 : 0.25µ, no full speed L2, 2.2v, 3DNow.

K6-2+ : 0.18µ, 128KB full speed L2, 1.8v, extended 3DNow.

K6-2+ is designed for laptop but several desktop motherboards can use them. Check before ordering. K6-2 is outdated and much slower than the K6-2+, K6-III and K6-III+.

Back