• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mini Mills and such...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I share your commitment to customization of waterblocks...

This is my current work in progress. (sorry for the cross-post)
cpu_4rs.jpg

I have a MAXNC 15 CL2 mill.

Cutting copper waterblocks on a desktop mill is a SUPER-DRAG. You have to cut in at 1/32" per pass (at 5k RPM). These desktop mills just dont have the RPMS for serious metalwork.

The maxnc 15 is a (swell) mill tho. I have nothing but praise for it. When I get tired of watching the cut, I can power down and pick up the next day without losing even 1/1000" on the reset.

Check them out www.maxnc.com, friendly people.

Show me your stuff, I am anxious to meet other (insane) people who like to mill copper on small mills.

WOW, that looks like it took a lot of patience! While i dont have any "stuff" milled out yet(still waiting on my carbide endmills), I will post some pics when I do.

is that mill cnc converted?? It looks like a nice mill! Its a little on the weak side(1/5 hp), but looks like it'd get the job done very accurately right out of the box.

What kind of spindle does it use?

EDIT: Is that a lathe chuck on the left side of the x-axis!?!?

you mean here?
img5.gif
. That is a rotary table. for making either round parts, or cutting 4 sides of a part. you can also lay those flat and make circle like parts, all kinds of stuff I guess.

Jon

There is a simple formula that gives you the right cutting speeds but I cant figure it out as I don't have coppers reference numbers off hand but when I get home I will get it for you.

TyRex said:
Anyone recommend a good RPM to cut copper?

As fast as possible!:burn:

This is why Im converting to belt drive. 9000rpm here I come!

just dont cut so fast with huge cutters.(face mills"Fly cutters")

that one was for you Stedeman

JFettig if you got that CD I sent you go to page 1006 [group 3 : C11000 Cutting Speed = 110 (HSS) 440 (Carbide)] then use this equasion: RPM = Cutting Speed X 4 / Diamiter of end mill

ex) for a 1/8" end mill (Carbide)
440 X 4 / .125 =
1760 / .125 = 14,080 RPM

ex) for a 1/8" end mill (HSS) high speed steal
110 X 4 / .125 =
440 / .125 = 3,520 RPM

As far as cutting copper on a desktop mill, here is what I've found out (after breaking tens of e/m bits)

1/16" 4 flute EM
RPM: 5000
IPM: 1.0
depth 1/32" per pass

For me the 4 flute e/m bits work better than the two flute bits. I think this is because I dont try to write my G code to cut in any specific direction and having 4 flutes minimizes the impact of cutting against the direction of spindle rotation.

I'm sure a 1/8" EM would have an entirely different set of params because it is a lot stiffer than a 1/16" bit. The 1/16" bits break off at the first sign of stress.

Anyway, all desktop mills I've seen are RPM limited. Mine maxes out at 5K RPM. I must say that cutting ten 70 minute passes is a real drag.

Also, I find it critical to remove the spoil quickly. If I let the spoil sit on the block as it's being milled, the bit tends to dull out quicker.

TyRex:

I'm using uncoated carbide bits.

What's the story with coated carbide (TiN etc...) are the coated bits worth the extra 20% they cost?

I got a ten piece set for ~$30 at www.drillbitcity.com a while back but now they don't sell them anymore. The cheapest I can find them now is $7 for one.

BTW: If anyone finds/knows a good source for 4 flute carbide (coated or uncoated) em's please post it for me, I'm running low on bits and have a heck of a lot more to cut...:D

Coated bits are really not needed for what we do. The TiN coating on the EM is to keep metal chunks from sticking and melting to the surface of the EM.

You can get coated EMs at jtsmachine.com, but I cant really see why they would be needed in our circumstances, but that's just my un-professional opinion. :D

I just got my all carbides from jtsmachine today.........I had no idea cutting metal was this easy. It's like butter! And of course my parrallels havent arrived yet, so all I can do so far is facing the edges of a block...........:sigh:..........patience.....patience

Well I just had my damn “blue print reading” class canceled for the second time :mad: (the only class I needed to be a full apprentice toolmaker) they also canned my form grinding (Grind 3) and advanced lathe (Lathe 3) classes. On a good note because I can’t take them this semester I got to take CNC and MasterCAM. After I finish the CNC class I intend to buy one of the mini-mills and build it into a CNC baby mill :p

Well, at least you get to take your cad and cam classes. You're gonna have a blast with these things........I'm having so much fun now, that I'm scrounging up the money for a 7x12 mini-lathe.........and a 4x6 metal cutting bandsaw(which will come first).

Yeah, homier does have the best price on the sieg mini-lathe. I've been taking a closer look at the cummins 7x12 though.....it's got TONS of accesories for only a 100 more, and it has way wipers. As for the bandsaw......I've been waiting for the sale for too long! I hope it drops before christmas.....It really bites cutting 1/2inch copper with a hacksaw(yes, a hacksaw)

ty, you can cut it with the mill, just pop your 1/4" em in and take 1/16" per pass with some coolant, makes it pertty nice and doesnt really dull the em too much.

I had to change my carbide inserts on my indexable end mill the other day, they got dull. My 1/4 carbide is getting there too. bout time for new ones.

Jon

Back