• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

random reboots while gaming due to windows upgrade???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hydrata

I recently upgraded from windows 2k to windows xp professional and i have since started to experience random reboots while gaming. specs are in sig, let me know if you need any further info. i never had problems with reboots before....the only thing i can remember about the random restarts is I THINK they started occurring after i started playing my "borrowed" copy of Fifa2002, which i didn't think of as much because that "borrowed" copy had always led to crashes. But since then the reboots have extended to america's army. any ideas for what's causing this??

I would just make sure you had the latest detenators and make sure you have windows update sp1, because I had the same trouble with some of my games until I updated to sp1!

i do have all the windows updates, including sp1, i just updated to the latest detonators...the only drivers i can think of that are new with my windows xp upgrade are the 4in1's and maybe the sound card ones (if the ones on the websitebeen updated since i bought my audigy)...i've also started using directx9......but to me it seems like it might be an overclocking or heat issue since it occurs after i've been playing for 15-20 minutes usually, or sometimes even not at all....what in the world is cuasing this??? and why would it have been stable in 2k, and not xp??

Direct x9 might be the culprit, I am also using DX9 but my buddy thorn said that there have been some issues with it. I would probably do some more research on the dX9, It shouldn't be oc or heat issue if it was stable in win2k.

Do you also have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard? Hit up the mfgr's site and snag them if not, could easily be / solve the problem.

Back