• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virtual Memory settings for 1 Gig of RAM question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Listen to me

Go get casheman make sure u set the conservativeswapfileusage

casheman can do it for you even

its free & easy to learn & will help you for 100% sure

Last edited:
Man, does anyone on this board (besides Supertrucker, cozmo_d, & Crash893) know what they're talking about!?! First off. Virtual memory is ONLY suppose to be used when you have low RAM (ex: below 1 GB). The reason why virutal memory was invented is bc Microsoft knows that computers usually don't have alot of RAM, so in order to run programs that require more memory than what your computer really has, it makes a temporary storage area on your hard drive to be used as RAM to run that program. It's like Crash said, you should just get rid of virutual memory with 1 GB of RAM, unless you run like 30 programs at once. More RAM=Less VM should be used (common sense). Whoever told any of you that you should increase your VM with the more RAM you have is retarded (Microsoft Customer Service) and should do some homework. Why in the hell would you need more space on your HD taken up for VM when you have a Gig or RAM??!! Think people. If anything. You should always keep your swap file (win386.swp, the file on your hardrive that holds the VM) static, meaning that it never changes. Like, say that you wanted to be safe, just incase you needed a little VM with your 1 GB of RAM. Well, first I would put the VM on another HD, since it would lighten the load and make the OS faster, and I would put the min and max to 100MBs. If you do that it would never change. Since it would never change it would never have to constantly read/write to your hard drive to change the size of the swap file (which would make your OS slow, realllllly slow sometimes). You should never have a dynamic (shifting, changing) swap file and it should always be on another partition/HD if possible. You should never let Windows handle your VM, ever, if you want fast performance. I can't stand reading these boards and see people giving others bad advice. If I'm not 100% sure in advice I give then I warn the person I'm giving the advice to to have doubt. Either you know what you talking about or you don't, and if you don't go to a site and learn, NOT a forum. There ya go xXxDieselxXx. I think that's the best advice you're going to get on this thread. No offense to you of course.

PhantomOSX2 said:
Man, does anyone on this board (besides Supertrucker, cozmo_d, & Crash893) know what they're talking about!?! First off. Virtual memory is ONLY suppose to be used when you have low RAM (ex: below 1 GB). The reason why virutal memory was invented is bc Microsoft knows that computers usually don't have alot of RAM, so in order to run programs that require more memory than what your computer really has, it makes a temporary storage area on your hard drive to be used as RAM to run that program. It's like Crash said, you should just get rid of virutual memory with 1 GB of RAM, unless you run like 30 programs at once. More RAM=Less VM should be used (common sense). Whoever told any of you that you should increase your VM with the more RAM you have is retarded (Microsoft Customer Service) and should do some homework. Why in the hell would you need more space on your HD taken up for VM when you have a Gig or RAM??!! Think people. If anything. You should always keep your swap file (win386.swp, the file on your hardrive that holds the VM) static, meaning that it never changes. Like, say that you wanted to be safe, just incase you needed a little VM with your 1 GB of RAM. Well, first I would put the VM on another HD, since it would lighten the load and make the OS faster, and I would put the min and max to 100MBs. If you do that it would never change. Since it would never change it would never have to constantly read/write to your hard drive to change the size of the swap file (which would make your OS slow, realllllly slow sometimes). You should never have a dynamic (shifting, changing) swap file and it should always be on another partition/HD if possible. You should never let Windows handle your VM, ever, if you want fast performance. I can't stand reading these boards and see people giving others bad advice. If I'm not 100% sure in advice I give then I warn the person I'm giving the advice to to have doubt. Either you know what you talking about or you don't, and if you don't go to a site and learn, NOT a forum. There ya go xXxDieselxXx. I think that's the best advice you're going to get on this thread. No offense to you of course.

i pretty much said that with that much ram you could disable paging. thanks for the credit :mad:

PhantomOSX2 said:

well SORRRRRY for researching and listening to Microsoft.

strokeside said:
I thought Virtual Memory was the portion of Hard drive that Windows used as a secondary memory storage area and it had nothing to do with the ram.
Is this not so?

You are correct. It is used so that certain things like webpages won't take as long to load because you have a portion of it allready on your HDD.

Ummm always thought that was your Temp. internet files? Well I look at it this way since Microsoft can't code a program that does not need at least one critial update a day it is hard for me too trust anything they have to say, especialy if i am not talking directly with one of the programs. i have 700 and whatever megabytes of ram and my VM is off.

emericanchaos, I'm truly sorry, I did over look you when I was making exceptions. But you did know what you were talking about so I do apologize. killer7, you're thinking of temporary internet files (as Rafjr00 stated), those aren't VM or swap related, read more about VM before posting something like that. modenaf1, you must not play games, and if you do play games they're probably DOS based or they run reallly slow. Other than that you're crazy to turn off VM at such low RAM. lol No offense of course. The people who you talk to when you call Microsoft are usually over aged obessed women who can't get any other job and know nothing about the hardware/software business. The only thing they do know if how to read the troubleshooting guide they have that's like 3 years old that sits on their desk. Waaay back in the day I called about a Win 95 problem about my video card not working with the preinstalled Windows 95 drivers. She told me that the video card was for my speakers and not my monitor, I asked again just incase I heard her wrong and she said the same thing, after she said that I hung up on the ***** knowing I'd never get any useful info out of Microsoft's customer service. Usually if there's a women that answers when you need help, you aren't going to get it. Not that I'm sexests or anything, just that they don't know any better. Hope that helps you all out :p

Back