• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case Advice needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OrionRU

Im building a new PC and I was leaning toward

Antec SX1040BII SOHO File Server case w/Smart Power 400W

Is there anything better in the same price range? 90-100$

OR any combos that are better? PSU and Case seperate.

Thanks

I have a ThermalTake Xaser III case which are 'server size' and found this case to be one of the best cases I ever owned. I am very please with it. However they are on the expensive side! On the other hand the advantages are that you have loads of room for expansion, amazing cooling (plenty of room for water cooling!) as the case comes with 7 silent fans which are easily changed and various other features. On the down side, no PSU and if you get a non-alluminium version they are extremely heavy, around 19kg!

My brother has a Lian-Li PC60 case which are also brilliant and around your price range but if you do get a Lian-Li case go for the PC70. As far as I am aware they come with a 300w power supply which in my opinion for the money and build quality there arn't many cases that beat it.

Yea Chieftec are good but I saw one and the quality, wasn't impressed at all compared to the XASER 2 or 3.

Chieftech cases are built as well as the xaser because they are the same case. Front bezel and brand of fans is the only difference.

I own a chieftech and like it just fine, plenty of room to grow your system. The removable drive bays are great also. SOHO, chieftech xaser and a couple others are all the same case. Go with the cheiftech and a sparkle 350 like mentioned. You wont be disapointed.

Case linky

PSU linky

Last edited:
http://www.directron.com/sonata.html Is a nice Antec case with 120m/m fans and a TruePower 380watt power supply

http://www.svc.com/sichxmidtoca.html Is a really cool looking Aluminum case with a 350 Channel Well power supply…Hard to beat for 64.00 plus shipping

If you are not impressed with the construction of Chieftech/Antec cases you are going to have to spend a bunch more than 100 bones...:)

Last edited:
Thanks for all advice.

Also 1 more question:

Will there be a big difference for example between SL400 vs True 430 and 350 sparkle?

Its an AMD system basically aiming for OCing ( As high as air will alow).

p.s.

So far 3 choices come to my mind.

Antec 1040II SOHO case
(sl400)

Chieftec Case + 350 Sparkle

Or the case i've also come to see as viable Antec's PLUS AMG 1080 ( 430 True power)

The main question probably is ( probably beating the dead horse, but I havent built a system with anything more powerfull then p3750 in a while) If the powersupply will hold the extreme overclocking and future addons ( more HD's, DVD burner, etc).

Thank you all for advice.

i second the chieftec + fortron/sparkle.

only downside is... everyone has one. i do believe the antec 1040 is the chieftec, but rebadged. but i think the 1040ii is cheaper because it comes with the powe supply. only downside is i heard if you buy the black version of it, its really grey colored, or carbon black.

otherwise, a chieftec, and fortron will do well. i would not buy sparkle, because they are usually more expensive than fortron (maybe like 5-10 bux) and they are exactly the same thing (if the model number is almost the same)

Back