• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone played with Longhorn yet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I tried build 4015. It was okay for the most part, but it would have about a fifty-fifty chance of crashing upon running opengl games. D3D seemed fine, and 3dmark2001 performance was decent. Explorer.exe liked to crash upon running some games.

On the other hand, I liked the gui, although I didn't care for the sidebar much, it really didn't bug me. It seemed to open and close progams quickly.

I've been trying out Longhorn 4015 for about 2 weeks now. The only thing that is worth while so far is the plex theme. Has anyone noticed that when you go to task manager the cpu goes to 100% and stays there until you exit out of it? Can't wait until the new gui and file system are installed.

The big question being, is this like a 100% new OS from the ground up? Or did they get the infamous David Cutler kernel for another OS?

Longhorn the codename for the new Windows OS. Its supposed to have a new file system among other new things. You can find info. on yahoo. There are also beta leaks if you know where to look.

And what of this file system that I keep hearing of? A couple people I've talked to in passing have basically said that if the new file system goes through, the registry will offcially become the second worst idea ever. Is it really that bad? And what the heck is it?

supposedly the file system is going to be based on the new SQL server database. And it is going to consolidate file searching and make it faster. Not real sure how though.

You also get that new Palladium Technology to prevent you from becoming a software pirate by copying your mp3 files from your HD. You won't be able to play them without RIAA permission either.

It won't work until the enabled hardware gets deployed but that's just a matter of time.

Scary. I guess I better figure out how to use Linux ASAP. When are they going to come out with a standardized version of Linux anyways? Or is that a topic for another thread? :)

I just hope the DCMA doesn't expand to force PT onto Linux or that the new PT hardware will be made so it won't work with any non PT OS/apps. You can't use LInux if the computer won't run it. If the piracy issue doesn't get solved by honest means soon, it could happen.

Think of how p*ssed China will be when they have to pony up for all the illigal sofware that they're using stops working after awhile.

Even office apps are going to be encoded with PT for the originator's control. I could write you an email and after so many days, it'll expire and become inaccessable to you if I wanted it to. Same for word, excel, power point, etc. If you're not PT enabled, it won't work at all unless I gave it permission to display on non PT systems.

It's either security or liberty, but just not both at the same time.

Back