• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

turning my computer into a DHCP server using NAT software and router to switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darth

Hi guys, title says it all. I want to use my computer as a router and turn my current router (di-704p black HW A1 unit) into a 4 port switch. Since my router firmware doesnt support UPnP, i cant get any of my MSN messenger file transfers to work regardless of what ports i open, even with the AMIT firmware. So i was just wondering if anybody knew some good NAT software (for Windows XP) that supports many programs like MSN messenger. Also, to turn my router (the dlink one) into a basic switch, all i need to do is disconnect the WAN port and disable the DHCP server right? That should turn it into a 4 port switch right? Can anybody give me a link to a guide to all the different types of network cables too?

Thx

-Darth

I can tell you how to do most of what you want in Linux, or if you want to do it in XP, just turn on ICS.

ICS will do what you want, there are other proxies, if you like:
AnalogX's_Proxy - Very easy, free
ICS - built into windows
Sygate - complex, not free
Wingate - complex, not free

Here is the answer to your cable question.. (there are really 3 types, but only 2 concern you: straight and crossover cables).

No software proxies, that I know of, support UPnP. If your router doesn't support it, then your out of luck :-/

ICS works great for just about everything. Just make sure you have any firewalls set up to permit it. If you have an extra box, windows 2000 Server supports many more complex NAT functions (look under Routing and Remote Services). Other than that, just search for "proxy server" or something to that effect on a site like download.com to find a few nice freeware/shareware apps to do the job for you.

Back