• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LCD terms, what to look for.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can anyone tell me if the image quality of the FP767 or a comparable 17" LCD is equal or better than the 957MB or other comparable 19" please? This seems to be the last sticking point for me in my decision between the FP767 or the 957MB. Also, how common are dead pixels? Thanks

dude, i have an lcd, look in sig... im a serious gamer and im all about looks in computer stuff... believe quality wont be an issue, i used to be wary like you are now but im happy now

SwishBish33 said:
Koala -

So the image quality between the highest quality CRT and the FP767 is going to be the same? What's the risk of getting one with dead pixels? Thanks man. Never met anyone as knowledgable about LCDs than you. Thanks for helping me out. Just outta curiosity, where did all the LCD experience come from? Personal use?!?! If so, you the man!

a good LCD shouldn't look any differenct than a good CRT. the only difference would be animation and motion situations like gaming and movies. some montiors will "ghost" meaning the pixels don't change over fast enough. and even still a higher end LCD will do just fine.

SwishBish33 said:
This seems to be the last sticking point for me in my decision between the FP767 or the 957MB. Also, how common are dead pixels? Thanks

I actually don't have that CRT model but the FP767 is nothing to sneeze at either.

Dead pixels used to be common. They aren't anymore unless the vendor somehow carelessly handles the monitor knocking it every which way. It depends on your usage as with everything else. The more you use it, the more it deteriorates. LCDs don't deteriorate anywhere near as fast as CRTs though. 3-4 years for a CRT as opposed to 9+ years for a LCD.

CRTs just die altogether or fade. LCDs have backlight life that will eventually die(9+ years). They don't fade in quality like CRTs do though.

Well, as long as the image quality is the same between the LCD and CRT and ghosting isn't an issue, which it doesn't seem to be on the BenQ based on what everyone is saying, I think I'm going with the FP767. Unless anyone decides to steer me the other way over the weekend (I'm ordering on Monday)

Is there a 19inch LCD out there worth it's weight in quality and near-nothing ghosting that could possibly considered? I love the Samsung thin bezel models myself, but I gather they ghost way too much for gaming. So what is there then, or are the Samsungs really just fine? Koala or others please chime in...thx.

Steph

Twister said:
Great research on this subject !
Maybe add info on how to check for dead pixels to go along with the rest of the info ?

there is a bit of info on that. a dead pixel is either completely dead, as in not working, or won't change color anymore. the latter type usually stays a dark color like deep greens.

stephpar said:
I love the Samsung thin bezel models myself, but I gather they ghost way too much for gaming. So what is there then, or are the Samsungs really just fine? Koala or others please chime in...thx.

Steph

I think anything at or below 25ms is more than ideal for gaming. It's only the first person shooters that require less. Even then, not so much so to be bothersome.

Dell uses the samsung models in their 19" LCDs. If you like those, you'll like the samsungs.

Love my NEC !!
I also purchased the 15" Benq for my other computer and it sits 4' away on the same desk. If their 17'' is as good as the 15", Great choice ! These are the only 2 LCD's I can comment on from experience.
No ghosting in games on either. No dead pixels on the NEC and 2 on the Benq and I had to really stare to find them.

Larger LCDs have a better transition response time and by now, always a better display overall. That is why a 25ms display can feel faster than a 16ms display. Yeah, so the specs don't say it, but as you've probably noticed, there are many ways to come up with numbers that don't exist(I love Viewsonic's over-inflated specs).

There is more than one kind of LCD technology out there too. That makes it even more misleading. The only thing you can really compare is monitors of the same class to eachother. You can't compare a 18" LCD to a 20" LCD.

IBM's "Big Bertha" T221 still reigns supreme above all other LCDs for sure=P

Larger LCDs also have a much better greyscale in general.

Wait a year. I bought 18.1" LCDs back when they were $1200. Now they're 1/2 that price and have better qualty. Pay $1200 for a 18.1" LCD today and you have a mind blowing monitor.

The T221 has been going down approximately $2000/year from $10,000. I have hoping for 1/2 its price a year but apparently IBM monitors hold their value very well. Might have something to do with their exceptional support. Replace monitor under warranty in a few days *and* they'll pay shipping costs.

any one give any thought to what is the best 18' / 19' LCD out their right now ni the $350-$500 US range?

i am searching myself tons but others feedback would be nice..

Piepz said:
Somebody can tell me one thing - 262,144 colors are 16,7M colors? Am I right?

Does 262,144 = 16,700,000?

No=)

Audioaficionado said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=8578

HotKoala,

Now I see why you like that monitor so much.

You also need to get an expensive pro 3D card to even use it's full capabilities.

Or one of these: http://matrox.com/mga/products/p_hr256/home.cfm

I will have that monitor in my posession soon as there's a card powerful enough to play at a 9+Mega-Pixel resolution=P

Last edited:
Back