• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LCD terms, what to look for.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Last edited:
Looking for anyone with experience with this company, or who knows which manufacturers panel they use. AG-NEOVO F-419 19" LCD...any help would be appreciated :D

Great info here Guys

I have decided after nearly 4 yrs with my beloved 19" Iiyma Vision Master Pro 450 CRT which was the dogs wotsits back then, that I should upgrade to a LCD, after reading many reviews etc. I have ordered & should receive my 19" Viewsonic VX912 this week. It has a 12ms response time. 500:1 contrast. DVD conection. Anway heres a link if you`re interseted.
http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDX/VX912.htm
I will let you know what I think when I set it up.

Acko

I'm looking at a couple different 19" LCD monitors:
The CMV them has a 600:1 contrast ratio and a 21ms response time with a .294 pitch, and the NESO is a 500:1 contrast and 16ms response time with a .297 pitch. They're both at similar prices. Any suggestions as to which to buy?

PhobMX said:
dunno man, but if you are looking for a dirt cheap 19" REAL GAMING LCD go for this one:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-009-022&depa=1

it has both 500:1 contrast ration and 16ms response time, both are the minimum requirements for what i consider a gaming lcd. either more response time or lower contrast ratio are a matter of preference, but these are the safe specs to look for

Yeah, the acer is the one I decided on. I wasn't sure how a lower contrast ratio would affect appearance (other monitors in the same price range are 600:1 and 700:1)

The Acer is on my daughter's AMD Shuttle rig and she doesn't run any hard and fast gaming but I watched some DVDs and I didn't notice any problems.

Now that she has my old MSI Ti4600 maybe she'll get something faster than The Sims II LOL.

k i was hoping you had done some games on it i think ill go for the ben q then thanks as the ld90+ has went through the roof

Hookem said:
Well IMHO response time is the most critical...16ms is the bar right now...Hictachi CML174 and a couple of others...If it has 16ms response time you should be gettin the very latest technology...;)

i tend to think that response time is not the only factor depending on what you use the monitor for, if you play games then yes response time is all you really need to look for, but if you dont play much games or watch movies, and just use your monitor for work and reading text and such, then you want to look for brightness and contrast ratios and size of course

perhaps?

i just bought a Acer 1913B 19"
800:1 20-23ms access time (some specs say20ms some 23ms ?)

this monitor sucks for gaming ! WAY to much ghosting !
it only has VGA no DVI.

i bought it for 180.00 cdn, and i don't want to take it back if theres a way to fix the ghosting ? is there ? please say yes ;)

my 2cents to add to this lcd sticky. when shopping for a lcd monitor it's important to stick to reliable brands. many manufacturers stretch the truth about their specs. brands that have proven themselves trustworthy when it comes to their specs are samsung, benq, LG, nec. dell and iiyama are supposed to be good brands as well when it comes to lcd monitors.

as for specs what you should look for is for contrast it should be at least 450:1; the higher this number the better. too low a contrast and the picture looks washed out. for response time it should be 16ms; lower doesn't matter as there is no noticeable blurring at 16ms.

another thing you may want to keep an eye out for is manufacturers often have to use 6bit color panels to achieve low response time. the difference between 6bit and 8bit color is minimal but it's still there. try to get an 8bit panel if you can. samsung has come out with 8ms 8bit panels, those are really nice.

also, try to get a monitor with dvi. with vga there is the risk of conversion problems such as blurriness and picture noise. this is rare but still best to have dvi to avoid any image degradation problems especially if your on an older card when they used to use less quality ramdacs.

Last edited:
Back