• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NV35, cheating, 3DMark, and DOOM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think that Doom III will have better graphics and that HL2 will have better interactivity with the environment. Far more importantly I think the HL2 will be a better game. I prefer Half-Life to any "pick up thegun and blast away" type game with no story like Doom or Quake.

As for speed here are some benchies, not just speculation:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1821&p=22

It would appear that our friend cruc1fy has a decent point.

funnyperson1 said:
I think that Doom III will have better graphics and that HL2 will have better interactivity with the environment. Far more importantly I think the HL2 will be a better game. I prefer Half-Life to any "pick up thegun and blast away" type game with no story like Doom or Quake.

As for speed here are some benchies, not just speculation:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1821&p=22

It would appear that our friend cruc1fy has a decent point.

Unless Nvidia is doing the same thing in the DOOM DEMO, that they are currently doing in 3dm03, 3dm01, and the Serious Sam Demo...that is, not rendering the entire scene, and using clip planes. I'm waiting to reserve judjgement until the game is out. I just can't trust Nvidia's demo benchmarks anymore.....

Keep in mind the R9800PRO 256 had to use an earlier driver revision, a driver that does not recognize 128mb of RAM. So, in effect, althopugh the R9800PRO256 is listed in the graph, it did not really bench accuratley. Just wait till ATI has an opportunity to optimize their driver-set for DOOM3, and I'd like to see the vpu's perform on equal footing

I agree about the graphics in DOOM3 just looking cooler, but I had NO idea just how interactive HL2 would be..really setting a new standard. The DOOM3 alpha was really nothing new, game-wise, just really gross, bloody, and dark. HL2 seems like another realm alltogether:)

Last edited:
cruc1fy said:

haha, I don't know, man. I made the mistake of watching the DOOM3 footage from E3 before the H-L 2 footage... it made H-L 2 look like... a toy (if you get my meaning).

You saw that crappy little clip of the real demo that is about 22 minutes long and VERY impressive. At fileplanet they have the full video. The HL2 engine is so much more then upgraded graphics. If DIII only offers better graphics then its going to get owned.

I'd give up a little bit in graphics quality to get they physics system in that video 7 days a week. Maybe DIII is more then just pretty graphics and lighting. I wish the darn demos were out for anyone to play.

Originally (this is like, 4 years ago), DOOM3 was supposed to have an extremely accurate mechanics (I say mechanics because lights, etc. are physics too) engine. You were supposed to be able to walk over dead bodies, run faster when you carry fewer guns, etc. Also, when a dead body is lying on stairs, for example, they aren't supposed to simply translate down, it's supposed to actually look like a body sliding down stairs...

I didn't notice any of those features in the alpha, but I do know that then you are hit hard in the chest by the revanant (with his fists), you don't just take damage and get pushed backwards. Your upper body gets thrown back and you end up aiming up at an angle. It takes a second to regain balance, meanwhile he can hit you again. I've never seen a game do that...

Last edited:
Crucify, did you watch the video of HL2? I didn't understand what the hubbub was about until I watched the video. What you are talking about is small potatoes compared to HL2. It appears as though nearly any item can be manipulated.

As far as speeding up and slowing down, Medal of Honor do that too. DOOM3 has alot of hype to live up to, looking forward to both of these games... :)

PreservedSwine said:
Keep in mind the R9800PRO 256 had to use an earlier driver revision, a driver that does not recognize 128mb of RAM. So, in effect, althopugh the R9800PRO256 is listed in the graph, it did not really bench accuratley. Just wait till ATI has an opportunity to optimize their driver-set for DOOM3, and I'd like to see the vpu's perform on equal footing

I agree.

historically, I've been an nVidia "fan boy." Ever since I replaced my 12MB VooDoo 2 with a TNT2, I've owned 6 nVidia based graphics cards (and two motherboards). I've never owned an ATi.

That being said, if ATi is better for DOOM3 than nVidia, I'll buy an ATi. Why am I so quick to drop nVidia? Well, as deep as my allegiance to nVidia runs, it can't come close to DOOM. I remember skipping school the day DOOM II was released so that I could play it. I don't really play games anymore (my "gaming rig" should be renamed "email-and-internet-while-my-engineering-system-is-bogged-down rig"), but I'll play DOOM3, and I'll play it on the best graphics card available to do so. If that turns out to be an nVidia card, okay. If that turns out to be an ATi card, so be it.

PreservedSwine said:
Crucify, did you watch the video of HL2? I didn't understand what the hubbub was about until I watched the video. What you are talking about is small potatoes compared to HL2. It appears as though nearly any item can be manipulated.

As far as speeding up and slowing down, Medal of Honor do that too. DOOM3 has alot of hype to live up to, looking forward to both of these games... :)

yah, I did.

I'm worried about two things:

1) The local mechanics engine sucking (local as in what you, the player, experiance). id, for example, did a fantastic job with Quake II, and a horrible job with Quake III. I didn't like halflife because it didn't feel good to me.

2) The environmental mechanics engine being selective. I don't know if this is true, I'm just speculating, but I'm worried that you will only be able to affect the obvious things (like the big dumpster, the table, and the swinging thing). I would be pretty impressed if everything in the game was manipulatable, but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

Still, even if everything about the environmental mechanics is flawless and amazing, if they fkuc up the local mechanics, it won't feel right to me, and I won't enjoy playing it. That's why I was so impressed when I was hit by the Revanant. If you can tell me a game (besides DOOM3) in which you can take a hit and, rather than grunting and maybe getting pushed back a step, bend backwards at the waste and consequently lose your balance (and have it actually feel, not just look that way), I'd like to play it ;)

Last edited:
i have also played the alpha. the graphics are phenomenal. As far as things i noticed that the forum viewers might find interesting.

1)Game uses 350-400megs of ram when running.
2)Game just had 4 levels and was still over a gig, so the final version will take alot of space as well
3) i'm not going to mention the fps because its done yet, but lets just say that present video cards will handle it just fine
4) the videos online do NOT come even close to doing the game justice. I saw the video 5 times before i played the game, and i was still blown away.

Oh, I dont know how I forgot to mention this, but there isnt supposed to be any talk about the DIII Alpha. That kind of stuff could get the forums in trouble.

funnyperson1 said:
Oh, I dont know how I forgot to mention this, but there isnt supposed to be any talk about the DIII Alpha. That kind of stuff could get the forums in trouble.

sorry, didn't realize that.

Quick question: by whom and for what?

cruc1fy said:

sorry, didn't realize that.

Quick question: by whom and for what?

Its considered warez since it is an illegal copy and they could get shut down for warez stuff.

I don't know who enforces software piracy, but I'll bet it could happen from any number of sources.

In this case the entity to fear would be ID who threatened to sue many of the websites who initially released the alpha and publicized it, this is the reason that hours after appearing Alpha news and dls started dissapearing. Carmack was not happy.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but HL2 > Doom3 because it will have multiplayer support.

How can discussing D3a be warez/illegal in any manner? I'm not offering files to anyone... I'm not telling anyone where to get them. I think most people know that was last year's E3 teaser, and it was widely reported. If we are going to discuss the game it pretty difficult not to mention what we've actually seen. I'd rather not hear what everyone read on some website - first hand information is much more valuable to me.

Im not saying i know the law or anything but i was under the impression that if software is missing the EULA (as was the case of Doom3 alpha) then its not considered piracy.

Mag22 said:
How can discussing D3a be warez/illegal in any manner? I'm not offering files to anyone... I'm not telling anyone where to get them. I think most people know that was last year's E3 teaser, and it was widely reported. If we are going to discuss the game it pretty difficult not to mention what we've actually seen. I'd rather not hear what everyone read on some website - first hand information is much more valuable to me.

Don't quote me because I in no way represent O/Cers.com, but when people talk about warez it always leads to how and where to get them.

Probably for that reason there is a no polerance tolicy...tolerance policy and it works quite well.

Not to say your opinion isn't valid, but those are the terms we accepted when we signed up so we follow them or get the big B;)

that sucks big time, perhaps next time i will say that i know infomation from a 3rd party source.

OC Noob said:

Don't quote me because I in no way represent O/Cers.com, but when people talk about warez it always leads to how and where to get them.

Probably for that reason there is a no polerance tolicy...tolerance policy and it works quite well.

Not to say your opinion isn't valid, but those are the terms we accepted when we signed up so we follow them or get the big B;)

exactly. You and I may not agree with the decisions made, but the fact is that we dont pay for the bandwith or spend our time moderating the forums and so in the end while our opinions count, we dont make the rules.

Back