• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NV35, cheating, 3DMark, and DOOM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MoonWolf said:
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but HL2 > Doom3 because it will have multiplayer support.

Woa HELLO, MoonWolf just hit the nail on the head :p

Thats the only reason I'll be getting hl2 and not d3, both look amazing but when it comes down to it, I won't be able to frag any friends in d3!

Btw, quit comparing d3 to the quake series and quit comparing quake 1-3 physics because they are extremely different in each game. Which leads me to believe d3 will also have extremely different physics.

this is crazy

I love these discussions they always get crazy, in the end both Doom3 and HL2 WILL be good games because they are bringing something new to the table that is long overdue. UT2k3 is a nice game but dissapointing in my opinion, yeah it looks a bit better and yeah there is better model physics "ragdoll" but what about the game is truely new? double jump? c'mon we need more, been playin UT since '99 and we are tired of the same 'ol same 'ol. so what if DOOM3 is only single player, stop thinking in 1998 technology terms this is 2003 and good AI is possible. Frankly im tired of dishing out 50 bucks a month for broadband so i can get some descent competition. What hardware you have is not that big of a deal either, especially now, both games will run on lower end computers and so it can't keep you from playing the game. They can't sell a game that way, it wouldn't sell if the specs were too high. The rule is that you need a good computer for gaming but you don't need the best either.

Re: this is crazy

supergenius74 said:
I love these discussions they always get crazy, in the end both Doom3 and HL2 WILL be good games because they are bringing something new to the table that is long overdue. UT2k3 is a nice game but dissapointing in my opinion, yeah it looks a bit better and yeah there is better model physics "ragdoll" but what about the game is truely new? double jump? c'mon we need more, been playin UT since '99 and we are tired of the same 'ol same 'ol. so what if DOOM3 is only single player, stop thinking in 1998 technology terms this is 2003 and good AI is possible. Frankly im tired of dishing out 50 bucks a month for broadband so i can get some descent competition. What hardware you have is not that big of a deal either, especially now, both games will run on lower end computers and so it can't keep you from playing the game. They can't sell a game that way, it wouldn't sell if the specs were too high. The rule is that you need a good computer for gaming but you don't need the best either.

I love that av. Very funny.

Good points. The QIIIa engine is getting BORING and nothing good has really come out of the UT2k3 engine yet.

GIVE ME NEW GAME ENGINES OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!

Supergen, you can't really say:
"Frankly im tired of dishing out 50 bucks a month for broadband so i can get some descent competition."
Because seriously, you don't only use your broadband connection for playing games. You use it for a plethora of stuff thus warranting $50 a month. And AI is still only AI, it will never be as fun as playing a real person, the randomness will just never be there.

actually i do

actually i do ONLY use my cable modem for playing games and its the only reason i got it. I am the network admin for my company and we have a T1 and if i need file transfering i do it at work, in fact i run my webpage and ftp server from work and if I need any files I download them at work and burn them on a cd to take home. I know other people use there cable modem for other things but I don't, my needs have exceeded the speeds that even comcast can give me at home. I agree that you will never get the randomness that occurs from a good multiplayer game but today's and the future's cpu power can take single player to a whole new level, to something that is not dissapointing and exploits the full capabilities of a FPS game. Besides there is a ton of mulitiplayer games out now, enough to satisfy most everyone. I'm willing to sacrifice toy-like multiplayer for movie-like quality any day. In other words if i had the chance to be in a movie i would rather be ripley in aliens than in an animated cartoon.

Last edited:
co-op tho i thought...not dm, but co-op is awesome to :p i miss playing co-op games

cruc1fy said:

When did he say differently?

Honestly I didn't see where he actually said multiplay is out but I saw it reported on several sites oflate , including overclockers.com , our front page . It's just that I didn't read the actual press releases / E3 info . But it has ben widely reported allover the net .

Back