• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP PSU possibly dead, need to know for sure...HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amdking

alright a month back or so I bought a TTGI 520watt after seeing the awesome reviews this PSU has gotten and the dependability of them.

I have loved it up till now, few hours ago was playing a game all the sudden the screen went blank.
I tried reset thinking computer unstable, well my computer just sat there did nothing with reset. Then tried holding down the power button to force it off, the damn thing didnt turn off and I was like WTF!!!

So I unplugged the 20atx connector somehow after fiddling around with the cable that goes into the tower I got the thing to turn on...got the voltage meter out and read all the pins on the connector...everything checked out ok. I did the same with the 12v 4 pin connector....I was still confused...

got my ol Antec 350watt out and hotwired it to turn it on ... then did readings of all the 20atx connectors and everything read a bit lower then my new 520watt just as expected...well argh...

I then plugged the calbe into both PSU's turned their switch on but PSU was off...I did reading of the 5vsb and remote power on on my antec, both read 5v...then I did it on my 520watt and WALAA they read like .2miliamps...
So somehow my remote power on isnt working for my 520watt...
does this mean PSU dead? is there any way to reset such a thing ... or rip it open and see if something blew and replace it?
What would cause the 5vsb to just "die"

I hope there is still hope as I did play around with the POTS inside and never maxed it out....so **** if I cant git this psu to work guess I am just screwed as I voided warranty by opening it...

PLZ HELP!

Thanks

This would be an internal failure somewhere in the regulation circuitry... best advice I can give is to try and see if they'll honor the warranty anyway. If not, I'm afraid the unit's done for; unless you want to risk putting out more than the cost of a new PSU having a qualified electronics tech troubleshoot and repair the unit.

damnit that sux....argh....
thats prolly it too, because I didnt smell anything or see anything or hear anything....not wierd heat either and no smoke when the computer screen just went blank.

CRAP

Most likely if there wasn't a seal slapped on the psu, they are not going to know you open the thing in the first place.

Use the warranty. Most companies I know will for the most part chuck your old one and replace it with a new.

(The only one that doesn't do this Enermax. They'll try to fix it first.)

It sounds like you need a fuse replaced.

Goodluck, let us know how it goes :)

thats the thing there was a seal =(

Think I can get away with ripping the entire seal sticker off and claim that there wasnt one ?

if fuse is all I need replaced....I can prolly do that, do these things only have one fuse or do they have more?

Thanks

The one fuse found in most PSU's is for the whole unit - if it blew the whole PSU would go down. I'm afraid it sounds more likely to me that some poor resistor, capacitor, or maybe even the regulator transistor itself decided to act as a fuse :(

Jumper the PSU like this;

plug.gif

If the PSU fires up, its probably OK, if not, I'd say its dead. This method works with the majority of ATX PSUs.

Back