• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a resevoir mandatory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, you don't have to run with a reservior.

Personally, since I've begun using one, I'll never go back.
Filling the system is as simple as pouring in the fluid, and starting it up.

You can get this ease with a reservior-less system, but I prefer not to take connections apart because it's a pain (3/8" tubing on 1/2" barbs) nor do I like adding tubing that I need to keep handy just to do a refill. I also don't like adding extra tubing to a system just to make bleeding the air easier using the submersion technique.

You don't have to run with one, but I wouldn't. That's just my taste. There are some sweet systems around that just use the T-line, and they work fine for them. Mine also ran pretty good after the 3 days it took to get all the air bubbles out. :p

as long as we're talking about resevoirs, diggr, do you have any reccomendations? something clear...cylindrical... i really like innovatek's creation (found here) but the fittings are too small, and the thing is ridiculously expensive. alternatives?

There is a thread about bending and rolling lexan somewhere around the front page of the watercooling page. you could roll some lexan over somethign the size you have in mind and epoxy it and you would have a nice round lexan RES I think I will try this and see waht happens.

Shop around man. Big chain stores have their houswares and fish departments. And there's crafts stores too (kindof girly and smelly, but they got some cool stuff). Browse around and be creative. I've even seen some cool prospects on bird feeders (clear tubular acrylic, cheap).
If you find a cheaper plastic for the cylinder, put your barbs in the end sections that you add. You can use 1/4" thick plexyglass and tap it for barbs easily enough, or use a plastic epoxy.

My new reservior comes from Sam's club full of dry spaghetti, but it won't fit inside a case, it's 6" wide and a foot tall. Working on getting that up and running this week.

The sky's the limit!

*bay reserviors are cool looking too!

you could make something like this
final_waterc123ooling.JPG

yes i know it is gettho but it works great, and it will blead out my system in like under a minute :D

would there be a problem with air if u have a resovoir?

and also do u have the pump under water in the resovoir, or connected stright to the resovior?

edit: whats does beeld system mean?

One quick question also, Does anyone have a detailed pic of theit T line system? I kind of get the idea behind it, but I'm still not too sure how to set one up, and I am still deciding for or against the resovior. Thanks.

arnoldma said:
would there be a problem with air if u have a resovoir?

and also do u have the pump under water in the resovoir, or connected stright to the resovior?

edit: whats does beeld system mean?

Air is no problem with a reservior. The idea is to have a 'reserve' of water on hand to replace air bubbles that come out of the system.

It depends on your pump, wether you run it submerged in water or not. If you have a ViaAqua, you really should run it under the water in your reservior. If you have an Eheim pump, there's no need to.

Bleeding the system refers to displacing all the air in the tubing with water. Afterall, it is a watercooling system, not a bubble cooling system. Air in the lines can hinder waterflow especially if it collects at a fitting, and alot of bubbles can even prevent the waterblock from doing it's job.

A T-Line system can be seen all over the forums, buddy. Just use the search button at the top of the page. You can search the using the username "HOOT" along with "T-line", he's got an especially nice rig posted about a year ago. Nice setup, if his pictures are still up.

i think ill go with the resovoir anyway, u dont have bleed the system if you have a resovoir right?

T-line sound to complicated for me, and resovoir seems easy enough, just connect to the pump and off it goes.

Yeah, T-Lines are just as easy as making a Resivour, if not easier...

but Resiviours are better because you have allot more water than if you use a T-line system, more water can mean lower water temps which could mean lower CPU temps..

http://floppyllama.homestead.com/files/aqutube1.jpg
http://floppyllama.homestead.com/files/aqutube2.jpg
http://floppyllama.homestead.com/files/aqutube3.jpg
http://floppyllama.homestead.com/files/aqutube4.jpg
Theres my res. The thing about reservoirs is that they make filling and bleeding a little easier, but not much else is gained besides looks (and the possibility of adding ice into your loop:D) While a reservoir will add more water to the loop, it won't help cool it anymore than a "T". It will take longer to warm up, but they will eventually come out to the same temperature.

Back