• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enermax 365AX VE FMA Capacitor mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krairach

Registered
I changed an input capacitor (400V 220uF) of Enermax 365AX VE FMA to 400V 470uF.
Before: all volts flucuate often (everytime MBM updates)
After: Vcore, Vddr, Vdd, +5V look more stable (hardly flucuate).

Any chance you could explain a bit more in detail how you did this. I have an enermax 465W PS and have minor fluctuations, nothing major, but I have some time on my hands and if I can help stabilize them, then why not? :)

When you open the PSU case, you will see the biggest capacitor.
For the 365W model, there is only 1 capacitor (220uF 400V).

Simply replace that one with a higher value (more uF).
I read somewhere in this forum that a capacitor is like a glass of water. The bigger the glass, the more water it contains; hence, the better volt stability.

I also replace a small diode bridge with a higher capacity one (it is about 20% bigger in size about 8Amps 800V)

Why do PSUs with 400V filter capacitors use much smaller capacitors than PSUs with 200V capacitors, even when the series connection that cuts the overall capacitance in half is considered? Does using a single 400V cap work so much better that this doesn't hurt, or does active PFC help a lot here? Because even my bottom of the barrel 300W has 230 uF (two 560 uF in series).

Back