• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many days w/ out rebooting winXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
on WinXP pro I usually go a few weeks unless I install some security updates or other software which specifically requires a reboot.

my record is 26 days but i had to reboot becuase i installed some stuff

it was acting fine

right now i got 99.9206% uptime on my computer

i've had an uptime to 40 days but then my brother got ****ed at me and shut it off:( last week i had an uptime of 30 days, but then shut down to install some patches.

I ussually go a day or so, before something freakish happens. If i don't do much; IE: Listen to mp3s, download, surf the net, use trillian, i can go for 3-4 days.

I go weeks at a time, my HTPC/server has been up to 42 days... till the power went out long enough to drain its UPS. But even my main rigs is still going for weeks strong. Just checked, my gf's rig which is the duron in my sig is at 23 days right now, and she's on it all the time doing graphics & web design.

i used to keep my machine on a lot. When i bought this new machine and installed xp on it, the machine was loud, so every night i shut it off. However, when i had win2k on another machine, i had it on for 4 months and it worked fine still. With xp, i dunno.

With the exception of reboots required by the installation of new software, my office computer has been up and running 24/7 for 10 months now.

FYI its an ASUS A7V266-E with an Athlon XP 2400 T-Bred CPU, Cooler Master HHC-001 hsf w/ heat pipes, 1 Gig PC2700 Samsung RAM running at 15 x 142 for the OC. Full load temp, per SiSoft Sandra is 59 Degrees Centigrade. However, since the temp is measured from a diode on the socket and not the actual CPU's monitor I'm led to believe the temp is regisetering high by about 5-10 degrees Centigrade. Oh yeah, it has 3 Hard drives, 2 striped 14 Gig ones and a Single 20 Gig one and is hooked to a Windows 2000 Server based network w/ SP3 installed and a Linksys Firewall/router. There are 6 other computers in the office that also run on the servers and average uptime for them has been around 3-4 months. My bookkeepers computer seems to have the most crashes (figures, its a store bought Gateway Celery instead of one I built myself).

i would have to say that it mostly depends on how much you use your computer and how many different programs you run. some programs will leave bits of themselves in the computer's memory just in case it needs to be launched again (for example, adobe acrobat reader).

i usually have mine up for ~a week at a time. i usually restart on sunday mornings or at night if i can help it since i am running my web server off my main rig here. of course i turn it off during a lightning storm for precaution...

my roommate at school had winxp home up for 40 days and it seemed to work pretty well considering how many different programs he uses...

i had a server that was on for at least a month without any reboots.. but now i dont use it because i have nothing to host :( i just experimented with IIS for a while because i wanted to learn some ASP.

my computer's too da** loud to keep on 24/7 (bad for a folder), but the longest uptime ive had is 52 hrs because I wasn't at home, looking into water or something for the summer.

i cant even keep it on for a day

too loud at night (not for me but for my parents :( )

after playing some game eg wc3 my memory just cant take it anymore

I check the peak memory it was 400+

i only have 256 :D have to get a 512 soon :)

Ive had my server un for around 3-4 months without rebooting. Another comp went god knows how longer than that. I think that one would have hit a year if it were not for a 15 min power outage... I cant afford UPS.

I've gone about 2 days. Only reason I shut down is because this thing makes my room VERY hot.

As far as forcing me to restart- never happens unless I install something or update something that requires a restart.

I only reboot when it tells me I have to, usually after installing software/updates etc. Longest Ive gone without is about 6 weeks.

Back