• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand new PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrm1957

Brand new PSU bad ?

Just got a new sparkle 350w PSU. When I put it in and try tried to start it would not work. When I jumpered out the green and a ground on the molex mobo connector the fans turned on and it seemed to work. It is supposed to be for AMD/Intel. The model no.
is FSP350-60BT it can be seen on newegg site. Any reasons why this is happening or should I RMA it. Any help is appreciated, thanks all.

Last edited:
Well the smart thing to do would be to get a digital multi-tester and check the 12, 5, and 3.3 volt rails...Preferable with a Antec type ATX power supply tester...You can do the paper clip trick to check the power supply...I would check all the rails before I RMA'ed the thing...;)

Why buy the Antec PSU tester when a couple of $2 10 ohm, 10W resistors from Radio Shack and a cheap digial meter will do the same thing? The Antec tester even passed a PSU that wouldn't put out more than 10.5V on he +12V rail.

The "tester" I am reffering to just puts a load on the power supply...And it is a whopping 12.00 dollars...I really do not see how something that will put a load on the power supply can "pass" anything...The paper clip trick is way cheaper than either your or my solution, larrymoencurly...Still dont get it...Oh well...:rolleyes: How about explaining just exactly what you are talking about???I personally would love to know why I am not testing power supply's right...How is your solution better??? And please explain why the Antec ATX power supply tester is not the way to go...Just curious how you have come to this conclusion.

Last edited:
Mrm1957, when you jumpered the green wire was the PSU connected to the mobo? If so, then you can probably rule out a short between the mobo and case, but the power button may be bad or its wiring not connected the right pins on the mobo. OTOH if the PSU doesn't work when it's plugged into the mobo, another possibility is a short to the case.

Hookem, the pair of resistors plus the digital voltage meter doesn't cost much more than the Antec tester but will give accurate indications of the voltages, unlike the LEDs on the Antec tester, which will glow even when a voltage is way below specs. Also the digital meter can be used for testing a lot of other things.

I have to remove the ATX plug from the mobo jump the green wire and black wire and everything starts up when I put the ATX plug back on the mobo nothing happens.
I have a plastic case. Is there some way to beat this ?

Last edited:
If the Power supply works fine when not connected to the mobo, then I'd start looking at the mobo/power switch/etc...

What else did you do/change when you got this new PSU?

So far I have replaced the mobo, CPU, heatsink. Mobo: Shuttle
AK35GT2, CPU: AMD XP 2100 w/ Volcano 9 and Thermaltake variable speed fan set to run at full speed. I think it could be the switch itself since it seems to work whem jumpered. It is on the right pins on the mobo. I'll check the switch after work and get back with the results.

Back