• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperature of Car exhaust

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well... look here:
for a V8 with DUAL CATS and DUAL EXHAUST (not the 2 in 1 exhuast)

http://www.musclecarclub.com/library/tech/exhaust.shtml

NOx or Nitrogen Oxides appear at exhaust temperatures above 2500 degrees Fahrenheit. Your EGR valve (assuming you decided to leave it on your musclecar) put these extremely hot exhuast gases back into the combustion chamber, this lowers your exhaust temp, and prevents the formation of NOx.

so if I were you, I'd plan my design around 2500 - 3500 degrees Fahrenheit. It would definitely be the Hottest temps you'll see.

what are you working on anyway? A sterlin engine to create electricity from exhaust heat? An attempt at a Gas/electric hybrid?

do tell..

bluce ree said:
well... look here:
for a V8 with DUAL CATS and DUAL EXHAUST (not the 2 in 1 exhuast)

http://www.musclecarclub.com/library/tech/exhaust.shtml

NOx or Nitrogen Oxides appear at exhaust temperatures above 2500 degrees Fahrenheit. Your EGR valve (assuming you decided to leave it on your musclecar) put these extremely hot exhuast gases back into the combustion chamber, this lowers your exhaust temp, and prevents the formation of NOx.

so if I were you, I'd plan my design around 2500 - 3500 degrees Fahrenheit. It would definitely be the Hottest temps you'll see.

what are you working on anyway? A sterlin engine to create electricity from exhaust heat? An attempt at a Gas/electric hybrid?

do tell..

I'm sorry I can't tell you what I'm going to do but you've pretty much told me what I want to know

1600 degrees F is about the most you will see on any normal engine, Anything above that and you'll have burnt valves and detonation to deal with.

Fast420A said:
1600 degrees F is about the most you will see on any normal engine, Anything above that and you'll have burnt valves and detonation to deal with.

I had that happen to me when I working on the car in my avatar. Temps went to high and bomb went one of my new pistons.

Back