• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heat spreader modifications

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hydrata

hey, i don't have a p4, but i just read the article on the front page about removing the heat spreader and the drops in temp. the guy got. i figured, intel wouldn't put this heatspread there if it caused higher temps, and the guy mentioned what a crappy job of thermal goop intel had put on the chip. so what if, you removed the heat spreader, cleaned it up and lapped it, put a quality application of artic silver, then reattached the heat spreader, then put the heatsink....i dunno, just an idea if anyone wants to try it.

Actually, the heat spreader is more for protecting the core and giving a larger platform for the heatsink to sit on than anything. People have lapped the heat spreader and sometimes it helps a degree or two. If you go to all the trouble of removing the spreader, I'd leave it off. Just be really careful when reinstalling the sink.

I wouldn't doubt that Intel doesn't mind sacrificing a few degrees to help from cracking the CPU die. They hardly clock their chips high enough to make a difference anyway. A few degrees may make a big difference in stability when overclocking, but not at stock speed.

that crappy paste is actually a very expensive paste that is cured in high temps so it drys up and last for a very long time say 7 years :) its not just it was made to last a long time. its not made to stay in a liquid form like AZ3 it was made to dry up.

Aside from the temperature reduction- think of all the savings you could get in thermal paste from the incredible reduction in surface area!

;)

My 2.2 C1 mobile chip has been running rock solid at 190FSB for about 3 months now on an Abit BG7 (max FSB it will allow, did 227 on the P4B)
I am also running a stock Intel IHS and the indicated CPU temperature under load is averaging between 47-50c! Just using std thermal paste - vCore is 1.525v - a bit hotter than I would have hoped for from a mobile chip......getting watercooling when I get an Abit IS7-G to run it in....:D

chaosdriven said:
So, can anyone actually report an improvement in overclocking results by removing the integrated heat spreader?

In overclocking? No I don;t think many are going to say things like,

"I got 200MHz more from my CPU after I removed the IHS."

Most are not going to get 1 MHz more. Maybe 1 deg. C temp drop but really that is not enough to gain any signifigant MHz increase. Leave the IHS on. You will feel better about it in the long run.

Not sure what u guys meant by the heat spreader but I lost 2 degrees using AS3. Cleaned my cpu and stock heatsink with alcohol to remove the stock paste and replaced it with a thin coat of Arctic Silver 3. Running at 30c Idle and 40C Load so far with an OC' of 260*12 - 3120ghz from my P4 2.4c/800mhz FSB.

TheGr8s1 said:
Not sure what u guys meant by the heat spreader but I lost 2 degrees using AS3. Cleaned my cpu and stock heatsink with alcohol to remove the stock paste and replaced it with a thin coat of Arctic Silver 3. Running at 30c Idle and 40C Load so far with an OC' of 260*12 - 3120ghz from my P4 2.4c/800mhz FSB.

The IHS is the metal sheel on your cpu, the actual core sits under that

Back