• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New card, old mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stiletto

I have a new FIC radeon 9700 and wanted to see if it worked. However, I wont be able to test it in my main rig until sometime next week. So I tried it in my 4 year old IBM just out of curiousity. Didn't get a signal to monitor, and not really sure if it posted.

Is it possible for this new card to simply not work with such an old mobo? The old computer is able to use a spare geforce 3 I have, so I know it can run some recent cards. Heck, could even be too weak of a PSU. Just wondering if it is most likely too powerful for my old computer, rather then possibily being a dud card. Opinions?

TIA

It is possible. Considering your mobo is that old, I don't it will accept technology that new.

All of this is an assumption. (Yes, I know what I am doing when I assume.)

Know next to nothing about the mobo, other then its intel and has 3 pci slots and an agp :) I dont really care about too specific information, mainly just wondering how likely it is.

Well, you should care..if yu popped it into an AGP1.0 slot (not even sure it would fit) you could fry the card. AGP1.0 (AGP1x,2x) supplies about twice the voltage of AGP2.0(AGP2x, 4x)

Sigh, figures that it is an AGP 1.0, cant find its voltage.

On a side note, would this AGP 1.0 have not affected my gfroce 3?

is there a notch in the middle of the agp slot? if not it is an AGP 1.0 slot and you very well could fry your card because it uses more than twice the voltage the car is used with

it does have a notch. However, a dead board I have that I know is 4xagp has no notch. Did you get it backwards? I hope not :(

Hmm, looks like the psu only puts out 100W at most. That could be it. Like half a week till I know for sure, we shall see.

This chart at Tom's shows AGP 3.0 (8X) is only backwards compatible to 4X. AGP 2.0 (4X) is backwards compatible to 2X.
So if you have an 8X card, and a 2X slot, it won't work, and you may fry the card.

Back