• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Safe to disassemble?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
R

Rod

I have, what may seem a stupid question for the gurus here :)
How safe is it to take off the FOP38 hs/fan off of a t-bird? I have heard that AMD core is very fragile and taking off a h/s can crush it. Also, another question - I assume there is thermal paste between the h/s and the cpu - so would that get into my way if i tried to connect the L1 bridges? Can I scrape the paste off safely? Will appreciate any reply, thanks.

I don't know what the clip's like on the FOP38, but it should come off without too much fuss (I had a taisol with a crap clip and I had to use pliers and a lot of force to get it on, probably lucky not to kill my core). The thermal paste should just be between the raised cpu core and the hsf - the L1 bridges are on the ceramic away from the core, so they won't be affected by thermal paste. If it's thermal paste like arctic silver it'll just wipe off - anything like a thermal pad will have to be scraped off, use something that won't sratch the cpu or heatsink like a plastic knife or toothpick.

Take it off slowly and keep even pressure on the HS so it doesnt rock back and forth on the processor and you should be fine.

Back