• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good linux reference books....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TyRex

I'm not one to read many books, I usually start a book then forget about it after awhile. When starting to learn linux, I figured this would be cake.........the internet will have all the info I need. After a week I learned that I wasnt getting the best explanations in the world, so I figured I'd go to the local Barnes and nobles. I found TONS of books on linux, but "the complete reference" is probably the most thorough and well documented one.......

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bo...?endeca=1&userid=2UHVZNNA2M&ean=9780072129403

I got the fifth edition, and it's great! I'm learning 5 times as much in a day as I did in a week.......I highly recommend this book.

Anyone else tried any other linux books or have any other recommendations???

Yeah, I have Running Linux by O'Reily and its really useful. Not only does it introduce you to lots of Linux concepts, but it gives a considerable amount of coverage to common Linux software (KDE, Gnome, GIMP, etc).

If you don't mind me asking, which ones do you have, moorcito? Would you recommend any of them (besides Running Linux, which I already have) ? I could use a new book to read :)

Off the top of my head I have:
TCP/IP Network Administration, 3rd Edition
Linux Network Administrator's Guide, 2nd Edition
DNS and BIND, 4th Edition
Linux in a Nutshell, 3rd Edition
Running Linux, 3rd Edition
Web Design in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition
Unix in a Nutshell,
about 5 Perl books that I can't remember what they were called

That's all I can think of.

Out of those I'd recommend Linux Network Administrator's Guide, you can get it free in pdf, html, etc. at tldp.org, but I prefer to read in a hands on maner, I think I got it for $5 off ebay. DNS and BIND is another good one, as is the TCP/IP Network Admin, other than that I've read a bit of Linux Server Hacks at Barnes & Noble, It's nice but I can't justify spending $30 for it.

Back