• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Refridgerator Case ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimInMA50

Registered
Hello all... as this is my first post (pause for applause ) I'll try to keep it short.

I just ventured into the world of AMD... and overclocking... and to be honest, am getting a little excited about it. I just purchased 2 AMD 1700+ XP chips... and using the rear window defogger repair kit... turned them into AMD 1700+ MP's!!!! Now this was my first mod with a computer ever... and it really suprised me how much information you all have to share... as fars as what bridges to jump/fill in....etc...etc...

So here is where I stand.... the 2 AMD's that I bought came with the factory heatsinks ( which I already found out are a little under powered )... and for me to buy 2 slk-800's... I'd be spending over $100... so I went out to SEARS and bought a mini fridge... the kind that fit nicely in dorm rooms. I can't post an image of it yet... as I'm still a new member here... but I suppose if I gave you the model number... you could go to sears.com and look it up...
Sears Item #04691171000
Mfr. Model #91171
It's a Kenmore 1.7 cu ft fridge.... I figure I'd mount the motherboard in the icecube tray... boar holes in the door for DVD & CD/RW drives... not sure where it'd be safe to boar holes for power cords/mouse/usb cables... but open for any suggestions. Guess this wasn't as short of a post as I hoped for... thanks for listening =)
Jim
PS: you can all blame Mr B for turning me onto this place ;-) thanks dude

oh oh oh

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!

first
!!

ok and now onto your post lol
the fridge would have to be closed and not opened much or youll get condensation... id just watch out for that

dun wanna short your mobo

Thanks Fiji.... I was worrying about that... so I figured once I got everything packed in there... I'd fill as many voids with styrofoam... seal up any holes in the door with silicon... and try to make the fridge airtight (this includes building a box to house the cd/rw & DVD drives... so that only the cables will break the seal into the heart of the fridge... and I'm using twisted cables... so I'll silicon those.

well tell us how it works out lol

** IDEA OK check this out strip the fridge down and figure out a way to get the condenser coils into like a plastic tub then fill the tub out of water and de-icer then you will have a helluva cold water cooling set up just get some pum,ps and a water block or 2

LOL....Now, now Jim....I've been blamed for far worse things...and you know it... :p

Good to see you getting adventurous. A Frigidaire Duallie. ROTF. :D You build that and I'll personally spam Jon Phillips e-mail box at MAXIMUM PC Magazine to get it featured as "Rig Of The Month"... :D

Cheers!

B.

if you seal the thing in styrofoam you will prevent good airflow and create pockets of hot and cold air.. while the cpu is on you wont be getting condensation... only when the system is off but the fridge is still on will it create frost or dew...

Not sure I'm ready to strip this thing down... I've heard horror stories about water cooled systems... not sure if I'd want to go that root.... wouldn't putting the entire motherboard in the icecube tray be cold enough? would I still need to run fans & heatsinks?

cerberus said:
if you seal the thing in styrofoam you will prevent good airflow and create pockets of hot and cold air.. while the cpu is on you wont be getting condensation... only when the system is off but the fridge is still on will it create frost or dew...

I'm hoping to get Jim to join the Folding Team...so if that happens, it'll be running 24/7 anyways....:p

would it work to get a cooling unit out of a fridge and put it into a custom case to keep the temps down?

wonder how big the parts are inside the fridge

JimInMA50 said:
Not sure I'm ready to strip this thing down... I've heard horror stories about water cooled systems... not sure if I'd want to go that root.... wouldn't putting the entire motherboard in the icecube tray be cold enough? would I still need to run fans & heatsinks?

The secret to H20, is planning, and testing.

Carefull planning of a coordinated, integrated water system...parts that are known to work well, and work together.

Plan out the "layout"...where the pump is gonna go, the radiator...how you're going to route the hoses, etc... Read, read, read. Let others triumphs and tragedies be your tutor.

And then, test the system out for a couple days, before installing the motherboard/CPU(s)/cards, etc... Make damn sure it's not gonna leak, before introducing the actual computer components into the H20 system. And then, watch it closely for a few days, just to make sure all is well.

Careful planning, and comprehensive testing, make H20 a very worthwhile experience. Don't let it intimidate you. I'm not gonna say bad things don't happen, but with planning, it's very rare that they do.

B.

JimInMA50 said:

It *should* be, but you'll want heatsink/fans on the CPU's regardless. The MSI has fan headers right near the sockets, so hooking them up won't be an issue....just figuring out how to route cables for the KB/mouse/drives, monitor, etc...

The only time you would ever think about running an AMD w/o a HSF is if you're one of those psycho Japanese fellows playing with LN (liquid nitrogen). But that's more or less a one shot deal...fire it up, take a screenshot, and *poof*...all done.

B.

Hey Brian... so is a twisted idea or what? I'll email ya the pic of the fridge.... maybe you can post it so others can see it. I was worried about the condensation... and like cerberus stated... hot and cold pockets will created it... so how do I get past that hurdle? I thought if I just made sure the fridge was never opened... then the change in temps would be minimal. I really want to go thru with this mod... it's really getting me thinking of ways to cut/mount etc... and I want to make a unique setup. I remember back in the days... when we hacked away on the C-64... and I bought that book "128 electronic projects for your C-64"... and while I only got to make a few of them, I've never been able to mod an IBM. Well this to me is very similar... and I want to make it work. I'm planning on getting a lot of advice here before I start hacking away with a hole-saw... and so far these guys have already found a few of my biggest hurdles (lets hope there arn't many more... is arn't an actual word?) ... anyhow, I learned a lot reading one guys post about "static pressure"... hope he pops in and tells me how condensation can be tackled! =)

Use that "search" button up in the top right corner, and look for fridge, refridgerator, etc.. in the Cooling sections of the Forums... I'm certain you'll turn up a lot of info there.

Could it work? Absolutely. There's just a lot of things (condensation, the biggest) to consider, and prepare for. I don't know much about this end of "extreme cooling", so my advice on the subject is somewhat limited.

But I know for sure there's others around here that have at least thought of what you're thinking....check out the Cooling topics and see what they got for answers.

B.

OK... so after goig to tons of sites, and getting all kinds of information... I'm even more confused than before LOL... my original idea was just to throw the whole computer in the fridge... now condensation will be a major problem... so people are talking about spraying the motherboard with grease (will white lithium work?) to prevent water from ever touching the board.
Now I've seen people actually rip all the guts out of the fridge, and using copper tubeing, run freon blocks straight to the processors. But even they have problems with condensation.
So I'm really begining to wonder if this whole fridge idea was a good one. I really want to get into modding.... but not if I'm gonna fry a brand new motherboard. So far I'm getting the feeling I should return the fridge (haven't opened the box yet ), and just go out and get 2 slk-800's... and wait until I have an extra computer to hack away on.

fiji said:
heh yea thats a big one.. well might wanna start out with little mods first huh?

Not unwise advice.... learn to crawl, before you try to run, learn to walk, before attempting flight.

Worst case scenerio, Jim....put the lil' fridge next to your desk, and fill it with Mtn Dew. Go get UT2003, let me know when you're ready, and then log on to me server.... Then you won't have to take "gotta go get a soda" breaks in the middle of playin... :p

In all seriousness...with the case you have (once you get a full complement of fans installed/running), and the chips you have on that MSI K7D....you're gonna hit 12.5 x 150 easily...air will be sufficient, if the heatsinks are good.

If I can get 12.5 x 140 out of a pair of 1600+ Pallys at 1.85v on air, using Millennium Glaciators, you should have no troubles getting 12.5 x 150 out of those uber 1700+ T-Bred B's on air. You already know you've got 12.5 x 133 at default voltage. I'd be surprised if you have to raise it much with those "wunderchips" you've got to get to 150FSB.... ;)

Frankly, those 1700's of yours should go a ton further than 1875MHz (12.5 x 150). But that's fine, because you should get there at close to (if not) default voltage, which will keep the temps down somewhat.

B.

Thanks for the advice MrB.... I think I am gonna hold off. Got caught up in the whole MOD thing LOL... and was getting worried that when summer finally gets here, this computer is gonna heat up quick! But I guess I'll cross that bridge after I burn it LOL

Back