• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wow Lucky Me!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Subaru

Disabled
Drove a friend home and got back to the house realizing my computer was so quiet. Found out that the fan for the radiator was not even on and the water was hot! I can feel it thru the tube and damn thank god I have Tygon Tubes. Anyone know what would happen if it gets too hot?

the water would boil till there was none left in the water block or untill the tubing melted:( search around, theres been a few people who have had that happen.

Subaru said:
Drove a friend home and got back to the house realizing my computer was so quiet. Found out that the fan for the radiator was not even on and the water was hot! I can feel it thru the tube and damn thank god I have Tygon Tubes. Anyone know what would happen if it gets too hot?
If you had the pelt in there, it would've melted your tube, all that water get leaked and blow up your system..

Here's the thing.

It's not how much airflow going through a radiator, it's that you have the "minimum amount".

This can be achived by simply having moderate to strong positive, or negative airflow.

After I had a ton of computers folding, I stopped folding on my own box and would sleep with the exhaust fans at 25% and the intake fans at 75% with my radiator fan off.

Worst possible case:
kill the cpu and mobo
Probable outcome:

computer locks up and the cpu goes idle either cooling down enough to NOT fry or shutting down for high temp after a while- no damage.

As long as coolant is flowing permanent damage is unlikely but possible: temps will slowly climb until parity is achieved- this is where overheat protection (in bios or MBM/ShutDownNow) is important.

HaTE said:
the water would boil till there was none left in the water block or untill the tubing melted:( search around, theres been a few people who have had that happen.

The water would boil even with the coolant?

How would it boil until there was none left in the block?

The pump was still running right?

This is also the reason most people use 2 fans for push pull, not likely both fans will die.

If it is a 3 wire fans I would recommend plugging the rpm wire in a mobo header, and setting your comp to shutoff it the rpm goes too low.

The water inside the block will boil off and you're left with steam. Read my above post to find out why you survived...

Assuming the radiator is poor, you have no "secondary airflow" from positive or negative pressure, and the heatercore can't keep up with convection cooling the fins alone.

The chip has long been dead as the boiling point of water is more than the 90C tolerance every manufacture warns as the destruction point.

People using a push-pull setup do gain the advantage of having one redundant fan.

************rogerdugans
If the computer locks up while at a high loading, the CPU will still run whatever task is in it's cache (and possibly main mem? but i doubt this) until it's reboot.

There-hence-forth! A computer that's crashed at a high loading will contunue whatever it's doing and the tempature output stays the close to the same as when it crashed.

Actually it's slightly lower because the entire CPU is no longer working. (like it was before the lockup) In most cases I ever looked at on my own computers, but NEVER have I witnessed it lower to idle or anywhere near idle levels.

I'd guess if you comp was at max load and locked up from heat, the loading would be around 70%-80% until you reboot it and clear it's data.

Toysrme-

You are probably more correct than I am on this subject as I know little about the internal workings of cpu and computer architecture.

What I do know is this:

My main rig uses two 24 volt Comair Rotron fans on the rad, and they are on rheostats running around 10.5 volts.
That is enough voltage to run the fans but NOT enough to start them- if the pc shuts down and gets restarted they will NOT spin unless the rheo's are almost maxed out again (they need about 11.5 to start spinning.)
Point of story: at one point while I was out of town for work, power was lost in my house. Someone in the house kindly restarted the pc but did not know about the fans- it started and ran including running Seti (100% cpu load.)

Upon my return home a WEEK later the pc was on but locked up, rad fans not running. I entered bios immediately on restart and the cpu temp in bios was about 28c which is commensurate with an idle restart- and no data had been processed by Seti, of course.

While I may not be entirely accurate with the why's and how's, those were the results I observed and why I said that the temps would drop: if they had remained at the overclocked, loaded level the pc would have either shutdown or burnt up ;).

Back