• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock Vid cards overheating on 845PE mobos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daemonfly

First was my ATI 8500dv AIW card - completely stock, default settings in BIOS, & even tried locking PCI/AGP, yet card would get very hot - could burn your finger on back of card, behind GPU. This was on my Albatron PX845PEV Pro mobo. Originally just figured the card was going bad, so upped the cooling & hoped it lived.

Just recently got an Abit BH7 to replace the Albatron, 845PE as well, and temporarily put in a GeForce2 GTS, and it's doing the exact same thing. Takes about 5 min to get to burnage temps ;) Default settings here as well, also tried locking bus speeds. The ATI was never in this board, yet.

Cooling is not an issue at all. The stock HSFs have since been upgraded. Internal case temps aren't high at all, even with open side & a Comair Rotron blowing on the cards & ambient room temps ~70deg F.

Both cards worked fine in my 2 Abit KA7 Athlon boards without ANY heat problems.

They were hooked up to a KVM, but then tested with a few different monitors - no change in results.

Unless I'm just missing something, the only link I can currently see is both are now on 845PE chipset boards.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
man I have no clue, maybe it is the boards putting out faulty, power. Try it in a friends or something, see if it does the same, if not then it must be the mobo or the power supply.

Well, they both do it on two different mobos, one brand new, both using two different PSUs. They work fine on two other non 845pe boards & their PSUs.

Figured it might be an odd/unique problem :(

I'll just have to look up the pin-out for the AGP slot & test voltages, etc...

Back